Calculating fraction of aluminum lttice sites at certain temps

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the fraction of Aluminum lattice sites that are vacant at different temperatures, given the energy to form a vacancy. The equation used is Nv = nexp(-E_v/kT) and nexp represents the number of atoms in the lattice that can form a vacancy. K is Boltzmann's constant, which is a physical constant that is used in the equation and has a value of 8.62x10^-5 eV/K.
SBloodshield
So do to a few issues I have definitely missed some thing in my materials class so I hope I'm not going to be told I'm an idiot. Please forgive me if I seem dense I am a single mother with a one year old who is also tackling an engineering degree ^_^'''

So without further ado... I am working on this problem
"Calculate the fraction of Aluminum lattice sites vacant at a) 500 C b)200 C
and c) Room temp assumed at 25 C given that the energy to form a vacancy om aluminum is 0.76 ev/atom."

Ok I am assuming I am using some vartion of this equation Nv=nexp(-q/KT)

My question is what is nexp? I never quite catch what that was supposed to represent.

and I also think I missed something else in my note because I have an example problem in them where for it the energy for vacancy is listed as .9 ev/atom but I have K written as 8.62x10 to the -5 ev/atom is K a constant I should just have memorized?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nexp is the number of atoms in the lattice that can form a vacancy. It is equal to the product of the density of the lattice, N, and the probability of an atom forming a vacancy, exp(-E_v/kT). K is Boltzmann's constant, which is a physical constant with a value of 8.62x10^-5 eV/K.

Related to Calculating fraction of aluminum lttice sites at certain temps

1. How is the fraction of aluminum lattice sites calculated at a certain temperature?

The fraction of aluminum lattice sites at a certain temperature is calculated by dividing the number of aluminum atoms present in the lattice by the total number of atoms present in the lattice.

2. Can the fraction of aluminum lattice sites change at different temperatures?

Yes, the fraction of aluminum lattice sites can change at different temperatures. This is because as the temperature increases, the atoms in the lattice gain more thermal energy and are able to move around more, potentially changing their positions within the lattice.

3. How does the fraction of aluminum lattice sites affect the properties of the material?

The fraction of aluminum lattice sites can significantly affect the properties of the material. This is because the presence of aluminum atoms can alter the structure and stability of the lattice, as well as impact the material's electrical and thermal conductivity, strength, and other properties.

4. Is it possible to calculate the fraction of aluminum lattice sites experimentally?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the fraction of aluminum lattice sites experimentally. This can be done through various techniques such as X-ray diffraction or electron microscopy, which allow for the observation and analysis of the atomic structure of the material.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated fraction of aluminum lattice sites?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated fraction of aluminum lattice sites. These include experimental errors, impurities in the material, and the assumptions made in the calculation method. It is important to carefully consider and account for these factors in order to obtain a more accurate result.