Calculating Force to Move Piano Down Ramp

In summary, a man with a mass of 190 kg pushes a piano at a constant velocity down a ramp inclined at 15.8 degrees above the horizontal floor. The man's force can be calculated using the equation F=M*g*sin(theta), and resolving the force along and perpendicular to the inclined plane. The use of the cos function instead of sin was not successful. Drawing a free body diagram and resolving forces is recommended.
Payne0511

Homework Statement

A man pushes on a piano with mass 190 {\rm kg} so that it slides at constant velocity down a ramp that is inclined at 15.8^\circ above the horizontal floor. Neglect any friction acting on the piano.

Calculate the magnitude of the force applied by the man if he pushes parallel to the floor.

Homework Equations

I was able to calc the mag of force parallel to the incline using F=M*g*sin(theta). I don't know if this is useful...

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought maybe i could use the cos function instead of sin and it might work but I was wrong. This is the last one for this HW set I cannot get. Not too sure what other equations could be helpful..

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the free body diagram.
Force is acting parallel to the floor. Resolve this force along the inclined plane and vertical to the inclined plane. Similarly resolve mg.

I would first clarify the question and make sure all the given information is correct. I would then proceed to solve the problem using the correct equation, which in this case would be F = M*g*sin(theta). This equation takes into account the mass of the piano, the gravitational acceleration, and the angle of the ramp. Since the piano is moving at a constant velocity, we can assume that the force applied by the man is equal to the force of gravity pulling the piano down the ramp. Therefore, the magnitude of the force applied by the man would be equal to the weight of the piano, which can be calculated using the equation F = M*g. Substituting the given values, we get F = (190 kg)*(9.8 m/s^2) = 1862 N.

I would also mention that neglecting friction in this scenario may not accurately represent real-world situations, as friction would likely play a role in the movement of the piano down the ramp. I would suggest including friction in future calculations for more accurate results.

Related to Calculating Force to Move Piano Down Ramp

1. What is the formula for calculating the force needed to move a piano down a ramp?

The formula for calculating force is force = mass x acceleration. In this case, the mass refers to the weight of the piano and the acceleration is the gravitational acceleration of 9.8 m/s².

2. How do you determine the weight of a piano?

The weight of a piano can be determined by using a scale or by looking up its specifications. Standard upright pianos typically weigh between 300-500 pounds, while grand pianos can weigh anywhere from 500-1200 pounds.

3. What is the angle of the ramp affect the force needed to move the piano?

The angle of the ramp does have an effect on the force needed to move the piano. A steeper ramp will require more force to overcome the force of gravity pulling the piano downwards, while a gentler slope will require less force.

4. How does friction play a role in calculating the force needed to move a piano down a ramp?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and can make it more difficult to move the piano down the ramp. The type of surface the piano is being moved on, such as carpet or hardwood, as well as the weight and condition of the piano, can all affect the amount of friction and therefore the force needed to move it.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when moving a piano down a ramp?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the ramp is stable and secure to prevent it from tipping over. It is also recommended to have at least two people to help with the movement, and to use proper lifting techniques to avoid injury. It is also a good idea to have a spotter at the bottom of the ramp to guide and support the piano as it is being moved down.