How is there no net force in this situation

In summary, the problem states that a man is pushing a piano down a ramp at a constant velocity, neglecting any friction. The question asks for the magnitude of the force applied by the man, which can be calculated by setting the sum of forces to zero in the parallel and perpendicular directions to the ramp. This results in two equations with two unknowns, the magnitude of the normal force and the applied force. The solution requires the use of trigonometry to find the component of weight in the x direction.
Rasiel

Homework Statement

[/B]
A man pushes on a piano with mass 190 kg ; it slides at constant velocity down a ramp that is inclined at 17.0 ∘ above the horizontal floor. Neglect any friction acting on the piano.

A. Calculate the magnitude of the force applied by the man if he pushes parallel to the incline.

Homework Equations

Sum of forces = maMy question is not regarding the solution. I'm aware that the solution is mgsin(theta) but my question is how come there is no acceleration, yet there is only one force in the positive x direction since it says there is no friction. And why does the man push exactly as hard as the component of gravity in the x direction? I can see where the answer comes from, just not why.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a normal force from the ramp even if there is no friction.

I also can not figure out why the man has to push with a force equal to the component of weight. One insight though is that they have asked to neglect friction which does not mean friction is not present. If a net force is acting then it can not move with constant velocity.

Rasiel said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
A man pushes on a piano with mass 190 kg ; it slides at constant velocity down a ramp that is inclined at 17.0 ∘ above the horizontal floor. Neglect any friction acting on the piano.

A. Calculate the magnitude of the force applied by the man if he pushes parallel to the incline.

Homework Equations

Sum of forces = maMy question is not regarding the solution. I'm aware that the solution is mgsin(theta) but my question is how come there is no acceleration, yet there is only one force in the positive x direction since it says there is no friction. And why does the man push exactly as hard as the component of gravity in the x direction? I can see where the answer comes from, just not why.
What in the question statement tells you the direction of the applied force? I see no direction given other than that it's parallel to the incline...

Kajal Sengupta said:
One insight though is that they have asked to neglect friction which does not mean friction is not present.
It means you are supposed to treat the problem as if it was not present.

Kajal Sengupta said:
If a net force is acting then it can not move with constant velocity.

Exactly. So you need to figure out how hard the man has to push in order for there to be no net force. You have two unknowns, the magnitude of the normal force and the magnitude of the applied force. You need to make sure that all of the force components are zero and so you have two equations to determine your two unknowns.

Hint: It is easier if you consider the force equations in the direction parallel and perpendicular to the plane, respectively.

Related to How is there no net force in this situation

1. How can there be no net force if there are multiple forces acting on an object?

There can be no net force if the forces acting on the object are balanced, meaning they cancel each other out. This can happen when the forces are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction.

2. Can an object be in motion if there is no net force acting on it?

Yes, an object can still be in motion if there is no net force acting on it. This is known as uniform motion and occurs when an object is moving at a constant velocity.

3. What happens if there is a net force acting on an object?

If there is a net force acting on an object, it will experience acceleration in the direction of the net force. This can cause the object to change its speed, direction, or both.

4. Is it possible for an object to have a net force of zero but still have other forces acting on it?

Yes, it is possible for an object to have a net force of zero even if there are other forces acting on it. This can happen when the forces are not acting in the same direction or are not strong enough to cause any significant change in the object's motion.

5. How does Newton's first law of motion relate to the concept of no net force?

Newton's first law of motion states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This means that if there is no net force acting on an object, it will either remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity without any change in its motion.