Calculating Force on Rectangular Loop from Straight Wire

In summary, the rectangular loop of wire will not experience a net force caused by its own magnetic field. The internal magnetic fields created by the current in each wire will cancel each other out. To determine the net force on the loop caused by the straight wire, the direction and location of the wire must be considered. Using the formula for magnetic force between two parallel wires can help determine the force acting on the loop.
Fisicks

Homework Statement

A rectangular loop of wire is placed next to a straight wire. There is a current of 3.5 A in both wires. Determine the direction and magnitude of the net force on the loop.

Homework Equations

F=BIL

The Attempt at a Solution

I am kinda confused here. Will the rectangular loop feel a force without the straight wire? The current will create a magnetic field inside the loop. Is this field constant everywhere? If so then i believe the forces cancel. Then you just have to find the force on the two vertical sides of the rectangular loop caused by the straight wire.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fisicks said:

Homework Statement

A rectangular loop of wire is placed next to a straight wire. There is a current of 3.5 A in both wires. Determine the direction and magnitude of the net force on the loop.

Homework Equations

F=BIL

The Attempt at a Solution

I am kinda confused here. Will the rectangular loop feel a force without the straight wire? The current will create a magnetic field inside the loop. Is this field constant everywhere? If so then i believe the forces cancel. Then you just have to find the force on the two vertical sides of the rectangular loop caused by the straight wire.
I do believe the net force acting on the loop caused by its own magnetic field will cancel each other. Using the right hand rule, with the current coing counter-clockwise and looking straight down on it, the magnetic field inside will pointing out of the page, the field outside the loop will point into the page. It won't be uniform due to Biot-Savart's law. However, if one side of the loop is affected by one magnetic force, then the opposite will be affected by an equal but opposite force since they're parallell. The magnetic field produced by the one wire affects the opposite wire by a magnetic force directed out of the loop, and the opposite wire produces it's own magnetic field to affect the other wire with the same force in the other direction. Thus the internal magnetic field of the loop yields zero net force.

To then find the net force acting on the loop caused by the straight wire would depend on the where the straight wire is and the direction of the current in the wire. If the wire's parallell to one side, using the formula for the magnetic force between two parallell wires should yield a suitable answer. You then only need to consider the forces acting on the parallell sides of the loop, since the forces acting on the orthogonal sides would cancel each other out.

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Force on Rectangular Loop from Straight Wire

1. How do you calculate the force on a rectangular loop from a straight wire?

To calculate the force on a rectangular loop from a straight wire, you can use the formula: F = (I1 x I2 x L) / (2 x π x r), where F is the force in Newtons, I1 and I2 are the currents in the wire and loop respectively, L is the length of the wire, and r is the distance between the wire and the center of the loop.

2. What is the direction of the force on the loop?

The direction of the force on the loop will depend on the direction of the current in the wire and the loop. If the currents are in the same direction, the force will be attractive (towards each other), and if the currents are in opposite directions, the force will be repulsive (away from each other).

3. Can this formula be used for any size of rectangular loop and wire?

Yes, this formula can be used for any size of rectangular loop and wire as long as the distance between the wire and the center of the loop is small compared to the dimensions of the loop.

4. Is this formula only applicable for straight wires?

Yes, this formula is specifically for calculating the force on a rectangular loop from a straight wire. For other types of wires, different formulas may need to be used.

5. How does the distance between the wire and the loop affect the force?

The force between the wire and the loop is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force will decrease and vice versa. Therefore, it is important to keep the distance small for accurate calculations.