Calculating Force on a Stretched Steel Rod | Young's Modulus 200*109 Pa

In summary, the problem involves a cylindrical steel rod with initial length of 250 cm and a diameter of 0.254 cm. A force is applied longitudinally, causing the rod to stretch 0.85 cm. The magnitude of the force can be calculated using the equation F/A=Y(ΔL/L0), where Y is the Young's Modulus for steel (200*109 Pa), ΔL is the change in length, and L0 is the original length. The correct answer is 3400 N. However, there may be some confusion in finding the area, as it is usually given in most problems. Posting calculations may help others assist in finding the error.
fightboy
A cylindrical steel rod is originally 250 cm long and has a diameter of 0.254 cm. A force is applied longitudinally and the rod stretches 0.85 cm. What is the magnitude of the force? The value for Young's Modulus for steel is 200*109 Pa.
The correct answer is 3400 N, i used the equation F/A=Y(ΔL/L0) but kept getting some weird numbers. I think I'm screwing up on finding the area, since in most of the problems the area is already given. Can someone help me figure this out?

Physics news on Phys.org
fightboy said:
A cylindrical steel rod is originally 250 cm long and has a diameter of 0.254 cm. A force is applied longitudinally and the rod stretches 0.85 cm. What is the magnitude of the force? The value for Young's Modulus for steel is 200*109 Pa.
The correct answer is 3400 N, i used the equation F/A=Y(ΔL/L0) but kept getting some weird numbers. I think I'm screwing up on finding the area, since in most of the problems the area is already given. Can someone help me figure this out?

Things will go much easier if you post your calculations, so says the Magic 8-Ball. :smile:

Related to Calculating Force on a Stretched Steel Rod | Young's Modulus 200*109 Pa

1. What is stress-strain analysis?

Stress-strain analysis is a method used in engineering and materials science to understand how a material will deform when subjected to external forces. It involves measuring the amount of stress (force per unit area) applied to a material and how much it will deform (strain) in response.

2. How is stress measured in stress-strain analysis?

Stress is typically measured using a stress-strain testing machine, which applies a force to a material and measures the resulting stress. It is often measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

3. What is the relationship between stress and strain?

The relationship between stress and strain is known as Hooke's Law, which states that the amount of strain in a material is directly proportional to the amount of stress applied, as long as the material's elastic limit is not exceeded. In other words, the more stress applied, the more the material will deform.

4. What factors can affect stress-strain behavior?

Several factors can affect the stress-strain behavior of a material, including temperature, loading rate, and the material's microstructure. Different materials also have different stress-strain properties, which can vary depending on their composition and manufacturing process.

5. How is stress-strain analysis used in real-world applications?

Stress-strain analysis is used in many industries, including construction, aerospace, and materials manufacturing. It can help engineers design structures and products that can withstand external forces and predict how a material will deform under different conditions. It is also used in quality control and failure analysis to ensure that materials meet safety and performance standards.