Calculating Force Needed to Overcome Resistance in m=1.45X10^6 kg Building

In summary, the problem involves finding the force friction in order to overcome the force resistance, which is 2.00 percent of the building's weight. The given values are m= 1.45X10^6 kg, w=1.00X10^2 MJ, and a=0 m/s^2. The equation Fa=Ff (force applied=force friction) is used in the attempt at solving the problem, but the value for Ff is unknown and the Fn is 0 due to the acceleration being 0. More context is needed to properly solve this problem.
Kiyana

Homework Statement

m= 1.45X10^6 kg
w=1.00X10^2 MJ
a=0 m/s^2
to over come the force resistance that was 2.00 percent of the building's weight

Homework Equations

Fa=Ff (force applied=force friction)

The Attempt at a Solution

Fa= Fn-Ff

Im confused on how to find the force friction, the Fn is 0 due to the fact that the acceleration is 0, but i have no clue how to find the Ff.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should post the whole problem on #1. I'm not really sure what's happening here.

Kiyana said:

Homework Statement

m= 1.45X10^6 kg
w=1.00X10^2 MJ
a=0 m/s^2
to over come the force resistance that was 2.00 percent of the building's weight

Homework Equations

Fa=Ff (force applied=force friction)

The Attempt at a Solution

Fa= Fn-Ff

Im confused on how to find the force friction, the Fn is 0 due to the fact that the acceleration is 0, but i have no clue how to find the Ff.

I am hesitant to say that I cannot help you. You must post the "proper context" of the problem. Just giving off values will not assist you. I am also not sure what are you trying to find out. The force of friction ? If that is so then why don't you consider the acceleration due to gravity if force resistance is 2.00 percent of the building's weight.

Related to Calculating Force Needed to Overcome Resistance in m=1.45X10^6 kg Building

1. How do you calculate the force needed to overcome resistance in a building?

The force needed to overcome resistance in a building can be calculated by using the formula: F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the building (1.45 x 10^6 kg in this case), and a is the acceleration required to overcome the resistance.

2. What is the unit of measurement for force?

The unit of measurement for force is Newtons (N).

3. How do you determine the resistance of a building?

The resistance of a building can be determined by considering factors such as the building's mass, structural design, and external forces acting on it (e.g. wind, earthquakes). It can also be measured using specialized equipment such as strain gauges and accelerometers.

4. Can the force needed to overcome resistance in a building change over time?

Yes, the force needed to overcome resistance in a building can change over time due to various factors such as wear and tear, changes in external forces, and modifications to the building's structure.

5. How does the force needed to overcome resistance in a building impact its safety?

The force needed to overcome resistance in a building is directly related to its structural integrity and safety. If the force exceeds the building's capacity, it could lead to structural failure and pose a safety risk to those inside and around the building.