Calculating Force for a Box on an Inclined Ramp

In summary, to keep a 22 kg box at rest on a ramp inclined at 45 degrees with coefficients of friction u(s) = 0.78 and u(k) = 0.65, the smallest force that can be applied perpendicular to the ramp is 43 N.
highc
This one's killing me:

A box with a mass of 22 kg is at rest on a ramp inclined at 45 degrees to the horizontal. The coefficients of friction between the box and the ramp are u(s) = 0.78 and u(k) = 0.65.

Determine the magnitude of the smallest force that can be applied onto the top of the box, perpendicular to the ramp, if the box is to remain at rest.

Here's what I'm coming up with:

F(s) = mgsin theta
= (22 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)sin 45 degrees
= 152 N

F(n) = F(s)*u(s)
= (152 N)(0.78)
= 119 N

F(a) = F(n) - Fgcos theta
= 119 N - 152 N
= -33 N

Does this look correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, after looking this over once more, I'm thinking:

F(n) = F(g) cos theta + F(a)

Since, F(s) = u(s)F(n), and I've determined F(s) to be 152 N, then

152 N = u(s) (F(g) cos theta + F(a))
= 0.78(152 N + F(a))
= 119 N + 0.78(F(a))
152 N - 119 N = 0.78(F(a))
33 N = 0.78(F(a))

Therefore F(a) = 33 N/0.78
= 42 N

Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:
Seems correct to me. I got the same answer.

Haven't looked through all the steps in your working, but I have 43N as the force required.

Related to Calculating Force for a Box on an Inclined Ramp

1. How do you calculate the force for a box on an inclined ramp?

To calculate the force for a box on an inclined ramp, you will need to use the formula F = mgsinθ, where m is the mass of the box, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of inclination of the ramp. This will give you the force required to keep the box from sliding down the ramp.

2. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity, denoted as g, is a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared. This means that for every second an object falls, its speed will increase by 9.8 meters per second.

3. How do you determine the angle of inclination of a ramp?

The angle of inclination of a ramp can be determined by measuring the height and length of the ramp and using the formula θ = tan^-1 (height/length). This will give you the angle in degrees.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of inclination and the force required for a box on a ramp?

The relationship between the angle of inclination and the force required for a box on a ramp is directly proportional. This means that as the angle of inclination increases, the force required to keep the box from sliding down the ramp will also increase.

5. Can the force for a box on an inclined ramp ever be zero?

No, the force for a box on an inclined ramp can never be zero. This is because the force of gravity will always be acting on the box, pulling it downwards. In order to keep the box from sliding down the ramp, there must be an equal and opposite force acting on it, which will never be zero.