Calculating Force Applied to Shaft from Drum Uplift

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the Kilo Newton or Kilo Watt applied to a shaft when a drum is released from underwater. The upward force is related to the weight of the water displaced by the drum, while the downward force can be neglected. To convert the gravitational force to Newtons, multiply by 9.8. If calculating power, the distance and time taken must also be considered.
Rainierc
Hi,
I am going to try and explain this as best I can. I have a drum submerged in water (200ltr drum) filled with +- 150ltr of air. This is attached to a chain that goes around a sprocket at the bottom of the tank and the sprocket is mounted to a shaft that goes out of my tank. How do I calculate what Kilo Newton or Kilo Watt will be applied to the shaft when I release the drum to go to the surface. I know that the uplift would basically be 150kg that pulls on the chain.

Thanks Rainier

Physics news on Phys.org
Rainierc said:
Hi,
How do I calculate what Kilo Newton or Kilo Watt will be applied to the shaft when I release the drum to go to the surface. I know that the uplift would basically be 150kg that pulls on the chain.
Welcome to PF Rainerc!

Hint: the upward force is related to the weight of the water that is displaced by the drum. What is the downward force? What is the NET upward force? (I think you can neglect the weight of the air in drum to keep it simple).

PS. if your question is how to convert the gravitational force on a kg into Newtons, multiply by 9.8 (N/kg force)

AM

Last edited:
If you want to calculate the Power (kW) involved then you need to know something of the distance actually moved upwards and the time taken. (Time taken would be hard to work out but Energy / Work could be fairly straightforward to calculate - given the height the drum rises.

Related to Calculating Force Applied to Shaft from Drum Uplift

1. What is the formula for calculating the force applied to a shaft from drum uplift?

The formula for calculating the force applied to a shaft from drum uplift is: F = W + P - T, where F is the force applied, W is the weight of the drum, P is the uplift pressure, and T is the friction resistance of the shaft.

2. How do you determine the weight of the drum in the formula?

The weight of the drum can be determined by multiplying its mass (in kilograms) by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This will give you the weight in Newtons, which is the unit used for force in the formula.

3. What is uplift pressure and how do you calculate it?

Uplift pressure is the force exerted on the bottom of the drum by the liquid inside it. It is calculated by multiplying the area of the bottom of the drum by the density of the liquid and the height of the liquid.

4. How do you determine the friction resistance of the shaft?

The friction resistance of the shaft can be determined by using the formula T = μN, where T is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force exerted on the shaft. The coefficient of friction can be found in engineering tables or can be measured experimentally.

5. Can the calculated force be negative?

No, the calculated force cannot be negative. If the result of the formula is negative, it means that the force applied to the shaft is directed downwards, which is physically impossible in this scenario.