Calculating Force and Work of Man Pushing Piano

• Thread starter crisicola
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Piano
The man's force up the ramp minus the friction force down the ramp, which gives a net force down the ramp. Multiply that net force by the distance down the ramp.
crisicola
Hi, this my first time asking a question, so here it goes:
A 255 kg piano slides 4.6 m down a 30° incline and is kept from accelerating by a man who is pushing back on it parallel to the incline (Fig. 6-35). The effective coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.40.

6_35.gif

(a) Calculate the force exerted by the man.
So far, I have this answer, by subtracting the Fparallel(mg*sin(30)) by Ffriction(mu*mg*cos(30)). [383.8 N]

(b) Calculate the work done by the man on the piano.
Got this answer, too, by multiplying the answer above by 4.6m. [-1764.6 J]

It's the next parts I got wrong.
(c) Calculate the work done by the friction force.
I figured Ffriction = mu * m * g * cos(30) = 865.7 * d = 3982.12 J, but that doesn't make sense. [?J]

(d) What is the work done by the force of gravity?
9.8 m/s^2 * 255g * 4.6m = 11495.4, it's incorrect [?J]

(e) What is the net work done on the piano?
This one I had no idea how to do altogether. J

Please help me out, thank you in advance! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
crisicola said:
It's the next parts I got wrong.
(c) Calculate the work done by the friction force.
I figured Ffriction = mu * m * g * cos(30) = 865.7 * d = 3982.12 J, but that doesn't make sense. [?J]
This is OK except for the sign. Since the friction points up the ramp, while the piano slides down the ramp, the work done is negative.

(d) What is the work done by the force of gravity?
9.8 m/s^2 * 255g * 4.6m = 11495.4, it's incorrect [?J]
When calculating work, you must use the component of the force parallel to the displacement.

(e) What is the net work done on the piano?
This one I had no idea how to do altogether. J
What's the net force on the piano?

Hi there! It's great to see you tackling a physics problem. Let's take a look at your calculations and see where you may have gone wrong.

(a) Your calculation for the force exerted by the man is correct. This is the force required to counteract the component of gravity acting down the incline.

(b) Again, your calculation for the work done by the man is correct. This is the energy expended by the man in pushing the piano up the incline.

(c) To calculate the work done by the friction force, we need to use the formula W = F*d*cosθ, where F is the friction force, d is the distance traveled, and θ is the angle between the force and the direction of motion. In this case, the friction force is given by Ffriction = μ*mg*cosθ, where μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction, m is the mass of the piano, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. So the work done by the friction force would be W = μ*mg*cosθ*d*cosθ = μ*mg*d*cos^2θ. Plugging in the values, we get W = (0.40)*(255 kg)*(9.8 m/s^2)*(4.6 m)*cos^2(30°) = 792.8 J. This is the energy dissipated due to friction.

(d) The work done by the force of gravity is given by W = Fgd = mgd*cosθ, where Fg is the force of gravity, m is the mass of the piano, d is the distance traveled, and θ is the angle between the force and the direction of motion. In this case, θ is 30°, so we get W = (255 kg)*(9.8 m/s^2)*(4.6 m)*cos(30°) = 11495.4 J. This is the energy gained by the piano due to gravity.

(e) The net work done on the piano is the sum of the work done by all the forces acting on it. In this case, we have the work done by the man (−1764.6 J), the work done by the friction force (792.8 J), and the work done by the force of gravity (11495.4 J). So the net work done on the piano would be Wnet = −1764.6 J + 792.8 J +

Related to Calculating Force and Work of Man Pushing Piano

1. How do you calculate the force of a man pushing a piano?

The force of a man pushing a piano can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the piano in kilograms, and a is the acceleration of the piano in meters per second squared.

2. What is the work done by a man pushing a piano?

The work done by a man pushing a piano can be calculated using the formula W = F x d, where W is the work in Joules, F is the force in Newtons, and d is the distance the piano is pushed in meters.

3. How does the angle of the push affect the force and work of a man pushing a piano?

The angle of the push can affect the force and work of a man pushing a piano. A push at a 90 degree angle to the piano's direction of motion will result in the maximum force and work, while a push at a smaller angle will result in less force and work.

4. Is the force and work of a man pushing a piano affected by the surface it is being pushed on?

Yes, the force and work of a man pushing a piano can be affected by the surface it is being pushed on. A rough surface will require more force and work to move the piano compared to a smooth surface.

5. How can friction be factored into the calculation of force and work for a man pushing a piano?

Friction can be factored into the calculation of force and work for a man pushing a piano by subtracting the force of friction from the total force. The work done against friction can also be calculated by multiplying the force of friction by the distance the piano is pushed.