Calculating Float Radius & Fluid Density for Buoyancy

• Thread starter srose9625
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buoyancy
In summary, a spherical float with a volume of 0.17 m cubed and a mass of 54kg is held at the bottom of a pond filled with water that is 7.6m deep by a rope that breaks. To find the radius, use the formula r=the cubed root of (3V/4pi). To find the density of the fluid that would allow the float to float with 25% of its volume above the liquid air interface, use the formula 75% of the density of the float is equal to the density of the fluid. The density of the fluid is 423.5.
srose9625
A spherical float has a volume of 0.17 m cubed and a mass of 54kg. It is held at the bottom of a pond by a rope. The pond is filled with water. The pond is 7.6m deep. The rope breaks.
1. What is the radius of the float?
I figure that I use r=the cubde root of (3V/4pi) But I am not sure how to do this even if its the right way.

2. What density of fluid would allow the float to float on its surface with 25% of its volume above the liquid air interface?
My teacher and I have no clue how to do this. Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Post?

Where has this post been moved to, or has it been removed? If so can anyone point me in a direction that can help with this question. As I stated before my teacher does not know how to this question either.
Thanks

I'm so sorry for you and your teacher. This is basic stuff. What is your teacher doing "teaching" this? Well...

1. yes you're right about the radius. How to do it? Use a calculator.

2. Find the density of the sphere, since you know the mass and volume. And somewhere in the book, the teacher should have been able to find the part that explains that, for example, that the ratio of densities is equal to the submerged volume of a floating object.

okay, so:

the radius is the cubed root of (3 X 17.88 / (4 x 3.14). = 1.62, is that right?

Also,
The denisty is 54kg / 0.17m cubed= 317.65. Is that the denisity of the fluid that would allow the float to float? or would it be 25% of this density? i.e., 1270.6?

My teacher is a graduate physics student, he teachers our physics lab. He said that this is a bonus question, since he does not know how to figure it out. Yes, I am shocked as well. Its sad that I actually pay tuition to get my answers answered online.
Thanks for helping.

srose9625 said:

Also,
The denisty is 54kg / 0.17m cubed= 317.65. Is that the denisity of the fluid that would allow the float to float? or would it be 25% of this density? i.e., 1270.6?

My teacher is a graduate physics student, he teachers our physics lab. He said that this is a bonus question, since he does not know how to figure it out. Yes, I am shocked as well. Its sad that I actually pay tuition to get my answers answered online.
Thanks for helping.

The floating object would have 75% of the density of the fluid.

so that's 317.65 x 0.75=238.24 Is that the denisity of the fluid that would allow the float to float?

and

Thanks for all your help. I could NOT have done this question without you!

The fluid must have greater density than the floating object! RIght? Does steel float? Do rocks float? (despite an earlier argument over whether or not ice is a rock, rocks sink!)

So don't multiply by .75.

Then what do I do with the density?

The density of the float (known) must be 75% of the density of the fluid (if 75% of the float is submerged). so:
[tex] \rho_{float} = .75\rho_{fluid}[/tex]

so:

7.6m(54kg)=410.4(.75)=307.8

is this right?

srose9625 said:
7.6m(54kg)=410.4(.75)=307.8

is this right?

No. Using Chi's equation:

317.65 = 0.75*(density of fluid)

solve for "density of fluid"

so

317.65/.75=423.5 is the density of the of the fluid thta would allow the float to float.

Thank you VERY much for your help.

srose9625 said:
317.65/.75=423.5 is the density of the of the fluid thta would allow the float to float.

Thank you VERY much for your help.

yes, that's the answer.

Related to Calculating Float Radius & Fluid Density for Buoyancy

1. How do you calculate the float radius for buoyancy?

The float radius for buoyancy can be calculated using the following formula:
R = (V/4π)^(1/3)
Where R is the float radius and V is the volume of the float. This formula assumes that the float is a perfect sphere.

2. What is the formula for calculating fluid density for buoyancy?

The formula for calculating fluid density for buoyancy is:
ρ = (Fb/(V - Vf))
Where ρ is the fluid density, Fb is the buoyant force, V is the volume of the object, and Vf is the volume of the displaced fluid.

3. How does the density of the fluid affect buoyancy?

The density of the fluid affects buoyancy because the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the displaced fluid. Therefore, the denser the fluid, the greater the buoyant force and the easier it is for objects to float in it.

4. Can you use the same formula to calculate buoyancy for different shaped objects?

No, the formula for calculating buoyancy is specific to objects that are shaped like a perfect sphere. For objects with different shapes, you will need to use a different formula that takes into account the shape and volume of the object.

5. How does the weight of the object affect buoyancy?

The weight of the object does not directly affect buoyancy. The buoyant force is solely determined by the volume of the object and the density of the fluid. However, the weight of the object will determine whether it sinks or floats based on the balance between its weight and the buoyant force.