Calculating final velocity of an object on an inclined plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the methods for solving a dynamics review question involving a roller coaster on an inclined plane. The solution involves using conservation of energy and kinematics, and the mass of the roller coaster is determined to be negligible in this instance. The final answer for the roller coaster's speed at the bottom of the hill is 26 m/s.
trulyfalse
Hello everyone, I'm stuck on a dynamics review question. I was told to solve like I would with other inclined planes, however mass was not given. I am not sure how to proceed.

Homework Statement

A roller coaster reaches the top of the steepest hill with a speed of 1.4 m/s. It then descends down the hill, which is at an average angle of 45° and is 50 m long. What will its speed be when it reaches the bottom? (Answer: 26 m/s)

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma
Fg=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a free body diagram, separating the x and y components of Fg. This is futile as mass is not given, thus Fg, Fn, and Fnet cannot be calculated. Am I missing something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, if you are familiar with conservation of energy, here is a method for solving this problem.
[itex]K_E=P_E[/itex]
In doing so, you eliminate the dependence of mass.

Could you elaborate? Thanks. :)

[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2=mgh[/tex]

Which in words states that the kinetic energy at the bottom is equal to the change in potential energy.

The height, h, can easily be determined as you know the angle of incline.

So, in that case I would assume mass is negligible and leave it out of the equation?

Here we go:
First I manipulated the formula given (assuming mass in negligible) to get √2gh=v
50cos(45°) = 35.4 m = height of the coaster to the ground
√2(9.81m/s2)(35.4m) = v
v = 26.3 m/s rounded off to 2 sig digs is 26 m/s
Thanks bro! You've been a big help. :)

The mass is not negligible. I would assume the mass of a rollercoaster is quite large relative to you, or I. However, the change in energy for this particular instance is not dependent on the mass of the system. Hence, the m is canceled upon manipulation of the equations.

Right, because dividing m by m yields 1. This will be of great aid on my unit exam!

I wouldn't advise applying any theorms that you are not familiar with. You can also apply kinematics with this question to solve for the velocity. For example, one can apply
[itex]v_f^2-v_i^2=2a_y\Delta x[/itex]

The acceleration is due to gravity. The intial velocity in the y-drection is 0. The change in position is the same as you had used before.

In that case then, to solve for vf I would manipulate to get
vf = √vi2+2ad
Which yeilds
vf = √(1.4m/s)2+2(-9.81m/s2)(-35.4)
vf = 26.4 m/s when rounded to 2 sig digs = 26 m/s
I think that was exactly what I was looking for (seeing as the test is on kinematics and dynamics). I really appreciate the time you took to help me out. Thanks again.

Related to Calculating final velocity of an object on an inclined plane

1. How do you calculate the final velocity of an object on an inclined plane?

To calculate the final velocity of an object on an inclined plane, you will need to know the initial velocity of the object, the angle of the incline, and the acceleration due to gravity. The formula for final velocity on an inclined plane is vf = vi + gt*sin(theta), where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and theta is the angle of the incline in radians.

2. What is the difference between an inclined plane and a ramp?

An inclined plane and a ramp are essentially the same thing - a sloped surface used to move objects from one height to another. The main difference is that an inclined plane is a theoretical concept, while a ramp is a physical object. In physics, an inclined plane is often used as a simplified model to study the effects of gravity on an object. A ramp, on the other hand, is a real-life object that can be used for practical purposes, such as loading and unloading heavy objects.

3. How does the angle of the incline affect the final velocity of an object?

The angle of the incline has a direct impact on the final velocity of an object. As the angle increases, the final velocity will also increase. This is because a steeper incline will result in a greater component of the gravitational force acting on the object, causing it to accelerate at a faster rate. However, if the angle becomes too steep, the object may slide down the incline instead of rolling, which will affect the final velocity.

4. Can the final velocity of an object on an inclined plane ever be negative?

Yes, the final velocity of an object on an inclined plane can be negative. This would occur if the object is initially moving in the opposite direction of the incline, meaning it has a negative initial velocity. In this case, the final velocity would also be negative, indicating that the object has slowed down as it moved up the incline.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating final velocity on an inclined plane?

Calculating the final velocity of an object on an inclined plane has many practical applications. One common example is when loading and unloading heavy objects onto a truck using a ramp. By understanding the final velocity of the object on the ramp, workers can ensure that the object does not roll too quickly and cause damage. This concept is also important in sports, such as skiing or snowboarding, where understanding the final velocity on an incline can affect the safety and performance of the athlete.