Calculating Final Temperature of Steam and Water Mixture - Chemistry Question

• Thread starter GodsChild086
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem Energy
In summary, the problem involves calculating the final temperature when 100 g of ice at -10.0*C are added to 30.0 g of steam at 110*C. The key to solving this problem is to remember that after a phase change, the substance is no longer in its original form. In this case, the steam will become liquid water after mixing with the ice. Once this is taken into account, the final temperature can be calculated using the specific heat capacities of ice and water. It is important to pay attention to the units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculation.
GodsChild086
I'm really stuck on this question:

What will be the final temperature if 50.0 g of steam at 100 degrees celsius is mixed with 600 mL of water at 10.0 degrees celsius? (Answer: 58.3 degrees celsius)

So far I've got:

heat lost (steam) = heat gained (water)
nH + mc(delta)t = mc(delta)t

Sorry I don't know how to make the delta symbol.

(500g/18.02g/mol)(40.65 kJ/mol) + 0.500 kg(2.02 kJ/kg*C)(100-t) = 0.600 kg(4.19 kJ/kg*C)(t-10)

When I calculated everything, I didnt' get 58.3*C, so maybe someone can tell me where I went wrong in either my formulas or calculations. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You used the specific heat capacity of steam, but after the phase change, it is water that is being cooled and no longer steam.

Try to assume that all the steam became liquid water after mixing with water.
If the value of temperature is above 100, then there are some steams left.

Sirus said:
You used the specific heat capacity of steam, but after the phase change, it is water that is being cooled and no longer steam.

I got the answer now...I forgot that after when steam goes through a phase change, it is now water, not steam. Now my answer matches in one in the book. Thank you!

This is the question that I'm actually really having trouble cause I don't have a clue where to start. I think this is one of those really nasty questions.

Calculate the final temperature when 100 g of ice at -10.0*C are added to 30.0 g of steam at 110*C.

I actually sort of know where to start...but yeah, I'm very stuck on this one...

Related to Calculating Final Temperature of Steam and Water Mixture - Chemistry Question

1. What is the definition of energy in chemistry?

Energy in chemistry is the ability of a substance to do work or produce heat. It is a fundamental property of matter and can exist in various forms such as kinetic, potential, thermal, and chemical energy.

2. What is the relationship between energy and chemical reactions?

Chemical reactions involve the breaking and forming of bonds between atoms, which requires energy. The energy input or output during a chemical reaction determines whether it is exothermic (releasing energy) or endothermic (absorbing energy).

3. How is energy measured in chemistry?

The SI unit for energy is the joule (J). In chemistry, energy is often measured in kilojoules (kJ) or calories (cal). Other commonly used units include electron volts (eV) and British Thermal Units (BTU).

4. Can energy be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction?

No, according to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another. In a chemical reaction, the total amount of energy before and after the reaction remains constant.

5. How does temperature affect the energy of a system in chemistry?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a system. As temperature increases, the particles move faster and have more energy, which can lead to increased reaction rates and changes in the physical properties of substances.