Calculating expansion coefficients for particle in 1-D box

In summary, the conversation discussed the expansion coefficient for n=1 in a system with a 1-D box. The individual eigenstates and superposition wavefunction were mentioned, along with confusion about the integration limits. It was clarified that in this specific case, the limits do not need to be changed, but for more general systems, it may be necessary to extend the limits of integration.
moduli1150
While reviewing for my midterm I came across an old problem that asked me to find the expansion coefficient for [itex]n=1[/itex] given an expression for the superposition wavefunction. I also know the expressions for the individual eigenstates because it is simply considering a particle in a 1-D box. I am asking regarding a possible misconception I have about how to go about solving this.

Assume that the length of the one-dimensional box is [itex]a[/itex]; let [itex]\Psi(x)[/itex] be my superposition wavefunction, [itex]\phi_n(x)[/itex] my individual eigenstates, and [itex]c_n[/itex] my expansion coefficients. Then I have
[tex]\int_0^a \phi_m^\star \Psi(x) \mathrm{d}x = \int_0^a \phi_m^\star \sum_{n=0}^\infty c_n\phi_n \mathrm{d}x[/tex]
which trivially equals [itex]c_m[/itex] because the eigenstates are orthonormal, etc. However, I took a look at page 2 of
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-04-quantum-physics-i-spring-2006/lecture-notes/lecture11.pdf
and the integration limits are from [itex]-\infty[/itex] to [itex]\infty[/itex]. What am I missing here? I don't understand why the integration limits would be like that instead of from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]a[/itex], because that is the only range for which the wavefunction and eigenstates are physically relevant (since the particle is confined to this range). I would appreciate it if someone could clear up this point of confusion for me.

The MIT lecture notes do change the limits of integration after the superposition wavefunction is explicitly written out as a summation of the eigenstates, which I don't particularly understand; since the two expressions are equivalent, I don't see why the limits of integration would have to be modified at all.

(I hope I'm not missing something fundamental here.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In this particular case, the limits of integration do not need to be changed. However, when considering more general systems or equations, it may be necessary to extend the limits of integration in order to obtain an accurate solution. For example, if you are trying to solve for the wavefunction of a particle in a box that is infinite in one direction, then it would be necessary to extend the limits of integration from 0 to \infty. In addition, if you are considering a wavefunction that is composed of a linear combination of eigenstates with different energy levels, then the integration limits may need to be extended so that all of the contributions from each eigenstate can be taken into account.

Related to Calculating expansion coefficients for particle in 1-D box

1. What is a particle in a 1-D box?

A particle in a 1-D box is a simplified model used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of a particle confined to a one-dimensional space. The box represents the boundaries within which the particle can move and the particle is assumed to have no external forces acting on it.

2. Why is it important to calculate expansion coefficients for a particle in a 1-D box?

Calculating expansion coefficients for a particle in a 1-D box allows us to determine the probability of finding the particle at a specific location within the box. This is important in understanding the behavior of quantum particles and their interactions with their surroundings.

3. How do you calculate expansion coefficients for a particle in a 1-D box?

The expansion coefficients can be calculated using the wave function, which describes the state of the particle in the box. By solving the Schrödinger equation for the particle in the box, we can determine the possible energy states and corresponding expansion coefficients.

4. What factors affect the expansion coefficients for a particle in a 1-D box?

The expansion coefficients are affected by the size of the box, the mass of the particle, and the potential energy function within the box. Additionally, the boundary conditions and any external forces acting on the particle can also impact the expansion coefficients.

5. Can expansion coefficients change over time for a particle in a 1-D box?

Yes, the expansion coefficients can change over time as the particle interacts with its surroundings. This can happen if there are external forces acting on the particle or if the potential energy function within the box changes. However, the total probability of finding the particle within the box will always remain constant.