Expansion coefficients of a wave packet

In summary, the question asks for the expansion coefficients of a given wavepacket in the basis wavefunctions of a particle in a periodic box. The basis wavefunctions are defined as \Psi_n(x) = \sqrt{\frac{1}{L}} exp(\frac{i2\pi nx}{L}). To find the coefficients, we can use the equation a_n(t) = \left \langle \Psi_n | \Psi \right \rangle, where \Psi is the given wavepacket. Expanding the sine function in terms of exponentials, we can then substitute it into the equation and integrate over the box size L to find the expansion coefficients. However, it may be more helpful to expand the sine function directly in terms of exponent
rwooduk

Homework Statement

What are the expansion coefficients of a wavepacket [tex]\Psi (x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin \frac{\pi x}{L}[/tex] in the basis Ψn(x) of a particle in a periodic box of size L?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Psi (r,t) = {\sum_{n}^{}} a_{n}(t) \Psi _{n}(r)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\left \langle \Psi _{m}| \Psi \right \rangle= {\sum_{n}^{}} a_{n}(t)\left \langle \Psi _{m}| \Psi_{n} \right \rangle[/tex]

all zero except for m=n therefore

[tex]a_{n}(t)=\left \langle \Psi _{n}| \Psi \right \rangle[/tex]

so I have a term for the coefficients but how do I apply it to the specific wavefunction? espcially as it has no n in it.

Any help as always very much appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the basis functions for your potential?

Orodruin said:
What are the basis functions for your potential?

hmm do you mean the basis wavefunctions? if it's a periodic box then

[tex]\Psi _{n}=\sqrt{\frac{1}{L}} exp(\frac{i2\pi nx }{L})[/tex]

so i substitute this into the above an(t) equation?

thanks for the reply!

edit i expanded the exponential in terms of cos and sin but it gets a bit complicated, also not sure what to do with the Σan that's on the right hand side.

Last edited:
It will be more fruitful to expand the sine in terms of exponentials ...

Likes rwooduk
Apologies for the late reply. I'm getting really lost with this one, I'm really not sure my method is correct as there is no time dependence in either wavefunction, so why am I using an(t).

If I use:
[tex]a_{n}(t)=\left \langle \Psi _{n}| \Psi \right \rangle[/tex]
with

[tex]\Psi _{n}=\sqrt{\frac{1}{L}} exp(\frac{i2\pi nx }{L})[/tex]
[tex]\Psi (x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin \frac{\pi x}{L}[/tex]

but then expand

[tex]\Psi (x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin \frac{\pi x}{L}[/tex]

[tex]\Psi (x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin \frac{\pi x}{L} = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}\frac{1}{2i}(exp\frac{in\pi}{L}- exp \frac{-in\pi}{L})[/tex]

so I get

[tex]a_{n}(t) = \int_{0}^{L} \sqrt{\frac{1}{L}} exp(\frac{i2\pi nx }{L})\sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}\frac{1}{2i}(exp\frac{in\pi}{L}- exp \frac{-in\pi}{L}) dx[/tex]

this can't be correct?

any further help on this would be appreciated, I still don't really understand what the question is asking to be honest.

Related to Expansion coefficients of a wave packet

1. What are expansion coefficients of a wave packet?

Expansion coefficients of a wave packet are numerical values that represent the amplitude of each component wave within the packet. They are used to describe the shape and behavior of a wave packet, and are calculated using mathematical techniques such as Fourier transforms.

2. How do expansion coefficients affect the shape of a wave packet?

The expansion coefficients determine the relative amplitudes of the different component waves within a wave packet. This, in turn, affects the overall shape of the packet and how it evolves over time. Higher expansion coefficients correspond to larger amplitudes, resulting in a more pronounced peak or wavefront in the packet.

3. What is the relationship between expansion coefficients and the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties of a particle, such as position and momentum, can be measured simultaneously. Expansion coefficients of a wave packet are related to the uncertainty principle because they represent the range of possible values for these properties within the packet. As the number of component waves in the packet increases, the uncertainty in these properties decreases.

4. Can expansion coefficients change over time?

Yes, expansion coefficients can change over time as a wave packet evolves. This is because the amplitude of each component wave can change due to factors such as interference, dispersion, or external forces. The changes in expansion coefficients can be described using mathematical models and equations.

5. How are expansion coefficients used in practical applications?

Expansion coefficients are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as optics, acoustics, and quantum mechanics. They are used to analyze and predict the behavior of wave packets in different systems, and can also be used to design and optimize technologies that rely on wave phenomena, such as communication systems and medical imaging devices.