Calculating Equilibrium Points for a Second Order Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses using a formula for Xdot and Ydot questions and encountering a problem with a second order equation. The formula is not applicable in this case and the person is seeking help in calculating equilibrium points using alternative methods. They also inquire about expressing x'' and x' in terms of Xdot. The conversation ends with finding the solutions x=0, 2, or -2 for the given equation.
franky2727
ive been doing Xdot and Ydot questions using the formula lamda2-(a+d)lamda +ad-bc=0 where Xdot=ax+bc and ydot=cx+dy no problems so far until this question where i have the second order equation xdot dot+x-1/4x3=0

so i set Xdot dot =Ydot and therefore Xdot =y as usual but this gives me Ydot=1/4x3 -x which obviously doesn't fit the formula above, how do i calculate the equlibrium points in this case

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a special type of 2nd order ODE. If you have x'' = f(x), you can use the chain rule to express it in the form:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{dx}{dt} \right)^2 = f(x)[/tex] which is separable.

franky2727 said:
ive been doing Xdot and Ydot questions using the formula lamda2-(a+d)lamda +ad-bc=0 where Xdot=ax+bc and ydot=cx+dy no problems so far until this question where i have the second order equation xdot dot+x-1/4x3=0

so i set Xdot dot =Ydot and therefore Xdot =y as usual but this gives me Ydot=1/4x3 -x which obviously doesn't fit the formula above, how do i calculate the equlibrium points in this case

The first type of problems are second order linear ODE's with constant coefficients in two variables. The other one is not that type. To find equilibrium points just set x''(t)=x'(t)=0 and solve for x(t).

what is x''t and x't in terms of Xdot?

franky2727 said:
what is x''t and x't in terms of Xdot?

x'(t)=Xdot=dx/dt and x''(t)=Xdot dot=d^2x/dt^2.

giving me 4x-xcubed=0 giving me x=0 2 or -2 ?

franky2727 said:
giving me 4x-xcubed=0 giving me x=0 2 or -2 ?

Sure.

cool chears

Related to Calculating Equilibrium Points for a Second Order Equation

1. What is a second order equation problem?

A second order equation problem is an algebraic equation that involves two variables raised to the second power. It is also known as a quadratic equation and can be written in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants.

2. How do you solve a second order equation problem?

To solve a second order equation problem, you can use the quadratic formula, which is given by x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. You can also solve it by factoring, completing the square, or using the graphical method.

3. What are the types of solutions for a second order equation problem?

A second order equation problem can have two types of solutions: real and complex. Real solutions are values of x that make the equation true and they can be either rational or irrational numbers. Complex solutions involve imaginary numbers and they come in pairs of complex conjugates.

4. Can a second order equation problem have more than two solutions?

Yes, a second order equation problem can have more than two solutions if the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is equal to zero. In this case, the equation will have two identical solutions, also known as a double root.

5. How are second order equation problems used in real life?

Second order equation problems have many applications in real life, such as in physics, engineering, and finance. They can be used to model the motion of objects, calculate the trajectory of projectiles, and solve problems involving acceleration and force. In finance, they can be used to determine the maximum profit or minimum cost of a product.