Calculating Electron Speed After Release from Rest

In summary, the conversation discusses the release of an electron from rest at height h0 and the calculation of its speed v when it reaches the top plate. The initial energy is found to be -q_e*E*h_0 and the final energy is 1/2*m*v^2+-q_e*E*h_1. The conservation of energy theorem is used to set the two equal to each other and solve for v. The recommended approach is to isolate v^2 and take the root of second order. The final solution is sqrt((2(h_0-h_1))/(m))=v.
evilempire
The electron, having been held at height h0, is now released from rest. Calculate its speed v when it reaches the top plate.

I found the initial energy to be:

-q_e*E*h_0

and the final energy to be:

1/2*m*v^2+-q_e*E*h_1

And I need to solve for v, so I set the two equal to each other as per the conservation of energy thereom and solve for v, correct?

-q_e*E*h_0 = 1/2*m*v^2+-q_e*E*h_1

My problem is isolating v and cancelling/clearing up variables. My algebra is lagging a bit, admittedly. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pay attention with the signs...The skeleton of your equation is
[tex] A=B+v^{2}C [/tex]

Isolate v^{2} and then take root of second order...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Pay attention with the signs...The skeleton of your equation is
[tex] A=B+v^{2}C [/tex]

Isolate v^{2} and then take root of second order...

Daniel.

Thanks. I only get one shot at an answer (it's an online-based assignment), so I would appreciate any response saying if this is correct or not, and what I did wrong if it is incorrect:

[tex] sqrt((2(h_0-h_1))/(m))=v[/tex]

Can anyone else help me out please?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it.

Last edited:
Excellent,that was the idea,to get it,without too much help... :smile: Anyways,i was asleep... :-p

Daniel.

P.S.I didn't dream of your exercise... :-p

Related to Calculating Electron Speed After Release from Rest

1. How do I calculate the speed of an electron after it is released from rest?

To calculate the speed of an electron after it is released from rest, you can use the formula v = √(2qV/m), where q is the charge of the electron, V is the potential difference, and m is the mass of the electron.

2. What units should I use when calculating the speed of an electron?

The units used for calculating the speed of an electron are meters per second (m/s). It is important to use consistent units throughout the calculation to ensure accuracy.

3. Can I use this formula for any electron, regardless of its initial velocity?

Yes, this formula can be used for any electron, regardless of its initial velocity. The formula takes into account the charge, potential difference, and mass of the electron to determine its speed after release from rest.

4. Is it possible to calculate the speed of an electron at a specific point in time after it is released?

No, this formula only calculates the speed of an electron immediately after it is released from rest. If you want to calculate the speed at a specific point in time after release, you will need to use other equations that take into account factors such as acceleration and time.

5. How accurate is this formula for calculating electron speed?

This formula is accurate for calculating the speed of an electron after it is released from rest. However, it is important to note that it does not take into account external forces or factors that may affect the electron's speed, such as air resistance or other particles in its path.