Electron released into an electric field from rest

In summary, the problem involves finding the speed of an electron after it has traveled a vertical distance of 1.4µm in a weak electric field of -2.70 x 10^-10 N/C. The equations used to solve the problem include F_E = qE, F_q = mg, W_E = qEh, W_G = mgh, and v2 = v02 + 2aΔy. However, the orientation of the electric field and the actual value of the field are not specified, making it difficult to accurately solve the problem.
Adam21197

Homework Statement

An electron is released from rest in a weak electric field given by
boldE.gif
= -2.70
multiply.gif
10-10 N/C [PLAIN]http://www.webassign.net/images/lowercase/jhatbold.svg. After the electron has traveled a vertical distance of 1.4µm, what is its speed? (Do not neglect the gravitational force on the electron.)

Homework Equations

I know that F_E = qE, and F_q = mg, as well as W_E= qEh, and W_G = mgh
also, v2=v02+2aΔy
but I'm not sure how I am supposed to actually combine all of these equations to get the answer

The Attempt at a Solution

If I find the accelerations from gravity and the electrical field I get:
FE=qE=1.602*10-19*-2.4*10-10
aG=9.81
a=FE/m+9.81 = -52.01
v2=v02+2aΔy, so v2=2(-52.01)(1.4*10-6)
v = 0.01405, which isn't correct. I didn't use the work equations because we haven't talked about work at all in class, so I figured we wouldn't need those equations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Adam21197, Welcome to Physics Forums!

You don't state what the orientation of the electric field is. We might guess that it is oriented vertically and that it is directed downwards, but it would be nice to have confirmation. Perhaps there was a figure accompanying the problem? I see a "broken" image link in your problem statement. It will be quite a different result if, for example, E is directed parallel to the x-axis.

Your problem statement says that ##E = -2.70 \times 10^{-10}~N/C##, but you've used ##-2.40 \times 10^{-10}~N/C## in your calculation. Which is correct?

Related to Electron released into an electric field from rest

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a force field that surrounds charged particles and exerts a force on other charged particles within its range. It can be created by stationary or moving charges, and its strength is determined by the magnitude and direction of the charges.

2. What is an electron?

An electron is a subatomic particle with a negative charge that orbits the nucleus of an atom. It is one of the fundamental building blocks of matter and is responsible for many of the properties and behaviors of atoms and molecules.

3. What happens when an electron is released into an electric field from rest?

When an electron is released into an electric field from rest, it will experience a force from the electric field and will accelerate in the direction of the field. The magnitude of its acceleration will depend on the strength of the electric field and the mass of the electron.

4. How is the motion of an electron affected by an electric field?

The motion of an electron in an electric field is determined by the strength and direction of the field, as well as the initial velocity of the electron. If the electric field is uniform, the electron will undergo a constant acceleration and its velocity will increase over time.

5. What is the relationship between an electric field and the movement of electrons?

An electric field is directly related to the movement of electrons. The presence of an electric field will cause electrons to move and accelerate in the direction of the field, while the movement of electrons can also create an electric field. This relationship is fundamental to understanding electricity and how it is harnessed for various applications.