Calculating Electric Field in a Square of Charges

In summary, we have a square with sides d and charges q, 2q, 3q, and 4q arranged clockwise around the corners. By considering pairs on opposite sides of the square and using a coordinate system, we can calculate the electric field at the center of the square. The net electric field is found by adding the individual electric fields, which are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction. Therefore, the net electric field is upward and has a magnitude of 2Kq/r^2, where r is the distance from the center of the square.
MasterMatt

Homework Statement

A square with sides d has charges q, 2q, 3q and 4q arranged
clockwise around the corners of the square. What are the
magnitude and direction of the field at the centre of the square?

Hints: consider pairs on opposite sides of the square. Choose a
coordinate system that makes finding components easy

Homework Equations

E=F/q=kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn a diagram, and I believe that I need to just calculate E for each charge, however I don't know how to approach it. Since now sign (-ve/+ve) is given for any particles how do I determine the direction of the electric field. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

remember that electric field is vector?

the E(field) due to q is canceled by E due to one of q from 3q and also of 2q due to 2q from 4q.

So you have 2 equal E's perpendicular to each other.
now, E = KQ/r2

therefore Enet = sqrt(2) x E

find r from d

also if q is at top left corner, E is downwards!

happy to help :)

I'm sorry, but I'm still confused. Why do Eq and E2q cancel? Also how do you get from E = KQ/r2 to Enet = sqrt(2) x E?

As the q charge and and 3q are opposite ... their E are opposite so net E because of these two charges is:

E' = (3Kq/r2) - (Kq/r2) = 2Kq/r2

same can be done for charges 2q and 4q.

E'' = (4Kq/r2) - (2Kq/r2) = 2Kq/r2

Now E' and E'' are perpendicular (remember that diagonals of square are perpendicular to each other)

So you can find Enet !

and yes sorry, as charges are positive ... Enet will be upward!

Attachments

• Ques.jpg
    Ques.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 843

Dear student,

Thank you for your question. To calculate the electric field at the center of the square, you can use the superposition principle, which states that the total electric field at a point is the vector sum of the individual electric fields due to each charge. In this case, since all charges have the same magnitude, the direction of the field will depend on the relative positions of the charges.

To find the direction of the field, you can choose a coordinate system that makes it easier to calculate the components of the electric field. For example, you can choose the x-axis to be along one of the sides of the square and the y-axis to be perpendicular to it. Then, you can calculate the electric field components for each charge and add them up to find the total electric field at the center of the square.

To determine the direction of each component, you can use the right-hand rule. For example, if the x-component of the electric field is positive, it means that the electric field points in the positive x-direction. If the y-component is negative, it means that the electric field points in the negative y-direction. By using this method, you can determine the direction of the electric field at the center of the square.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to Calculating Electric Field in a Square of Charges

1. How do you calculate the electric field in a square of charges?

To calculate the electric field in a square of charges, you can use the formula E = kq/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge. You will need to calculate the electric field at each corner of the square and then combine the individual field values using vector addition.

2. What is the direction of the electric field in a square of charges?

The direction of the electric field in a square of charges will depend on the charges present and their relative positions. If all charges are positive or negative, the electric field will point away or towards the center of the square, respectively. If there are both positive and negative charges, the electric field will point towards the negative charges and away from the positive charges.

3. Can you calculate the electric field at the center of a square of charges?

Yes, you can calculate the electric field at the center of a square of charges by using the superposition principle. This means that you can add the electric fields from each individual charge at the center point to determine the overall electric field.

4. How does the electric field change if the distance between charges in the square is increased?

As the distance between charges in a square increases, the electric field will decrease. This is because the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance, meaning that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases at a faster rate.

5. What is the net electric field in a square of charges with equal positive and negative charges?

In a square of charges with equal positive and negative charges, the net electric field will be zero. This is because the electric fields from the positive and negative charges will cancel each other out, resulting in a net electric field of zero.