Calculating Electric Field b/w Grounded Conductors w/ Method of Images

In summary, the problem involves two semi-infinite grounded conductive planes meeting at right angles with a non-grounded plane at a 45° angle above the x-axis and a surface charge density of σ. Using the method of images, the field distribution in this region can be determined by placing planes with -σ at 135° and -45° and one with +σ at -135° to create a confined solution in the first quadrant. The electric field is found to be E=σ/2ε and pointing in the -i direction.
The Head
1. Homework Statement
Two semi-infinite grounded conductive planes meet at right angles. In the region b/w the conductors, there is the plane with angle 45° having surface charge density σ. Using the method of images, find the field distribution in this region.

(There is a picture included, essentially showing the first quadrant, bounded by the two grounded planes, with the non-grounded plane at 45° above the x-axis).

2. Homework Equations
V=kq/r
E*dA=σ*dA/ε

3. The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I am making the assumption that determining the field means electric field and not potential. Most prior examples I have seen with method of images (MoI) usually works with getting potential, but maybe this is a different case?

For MoI, there is a plane with +σ going up through 45°, so, mirroring how I would do this if this were a point charge, I put planes with -σ at 135° and -45° and then one with +σ at -135°. So basically two perpendicular, oppositely charged, infinite planes.

I looked at this problem a very long time trying to calculate potential, but then I thought, can you just use Gauss's Law for each and confine your solution to the first quadrant? It seemed incredibly simple after that, but sometimes I make an incorrect assumption that oversimplifies the situation-- is this okay to assume?

E=σ/2ε from the positive plane, and the direction is normal to the plane (-i/√2 +j/√2) and the direction from the negative plane is -i/√2 -j/√2 so that the after summing these components the field would be pointing in the -i direction. Is that the basic idea or have I made one too many assumptions?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have it. But, the final answer you gave has direction -i. Is that true everywhere in the first quadrant?

Related to Calculating Electric Field b/w Grounded Conductors w/ Method of Images

What is the Method of Images and how is it used to calculate the electric field between grounded conductors?

The Method of Images is a mathematical technique used to determine the electric field between two or more grounded conductors. It involves creating imaginary charges, known as image charges, in order to simplify the calculation process. By placing these image charges in strategic locations, the electric field can be calculated using known formulas and principles of electrostatics.

What are the assumptions made when using the Method of Images?

There are a few key assumptions that must be made when using the Method of Images to calculate electric fields between grounded conductors. These include: the conductors are perfect conductors with no resistance, the conductors are at the same potential, and the surrounding medium is a perfect dielectric with no resistance.

What is the significance of the grounded conductors in this calculation method?

The grounded conductors play a crucial role in the Method of Images calculation. By grounding the conductors, their potential is fixed at a known value, which simplifies the calculation process. Additionally, the grounded conductors create a boundary condition that allows for the placement of the image charges.

Can the Method of Images be used for any configuration of grounded conductors?

Yes, the Method of Images can be used for any configuration of grounded conductors, as long as the assumptions mentioned earlier are met. This method is commonly used in the calculation of electric fields between parallel plates, conductive spheres, and other simple geometries.

Are there any limitations to the Method of Images?

While the Method of Images is a powerful tool for calculating electric fields between grounded conductors, it does have some limitations. This method is most accurate for simple geometries and can become increasingly complex for more intricate configurations. Additionally, the presence of other conductors or dielectric materials in the vicinity may affect the accuracy of the results.