Calculating Drag (having circular reference problems)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the drag for a physics EEI on drag. The equation for drag is mentioned, along with the variables used in the experiment. The attempt at a solution involves dropping a square open-sided cube and calculating its velocity and acceleration at terminal velocity. A discrepancy in the calculation of velocity is mentioned and corrected.
josiahseto

Homework Statement

I don't know if it's possible but I am doing a physics EEI on drag.
I know to find drag you need instantaneous velocity which can be found through (change in x/ change in t) but i cannot find displacement unless i find velocity :S..

Homework Equations

d = 0.5 x p x (V^2) x Cd x A
im taking p = 1.2
Cd = 1.05 (for square shape)
A = 0.0225 sq meters

The Attempt at a Solution

I have dropped a square open sided cube 15cm x 15cm through a vertical distance of 2.5m (u = 0m/s) and it took an average of 2.33s

Physics news on Phys.org
also, its mass is 0.0029 kg
so w = 0.02842N

therefore at terminal velocity point drag = 0.02842N (thats if it does reach TV)

therefore at that point acceleration = 0

so.. we have

u = 0m/s

v = 1.41m/s (calculated through Fd = Fg)

and a = 0m/s at TV point

the velocity can be found using v2=u2-2gy

v^2 = 0^2 - 2 x 9.8 x 2.5
V^2 = -49
v = sqrt -49 = impossible?

josiahseto said:
v^2 = 0^2 - 2 x 9.8 x 2.5
V^2 = -49
v = sqrt -49 = impossible?

Sorry, down is positive, so it would be v^2=0^2+2*9.81*2.5.

Related to Calculating Drag (having circular reference problems)

1. What is drag in relation to fluid mechanics?

Drag is a force that acts opposite to the direction of motion of an object moving through a fluid, such as air or water. It is caused by the frictional resistance between the fluid and the surface of the object.

2. How is drag calculated?

Drag can be calculated using the drag equation, which takes into account the fluid density, the velocity of the object, the cross-sectional area, and the drag coefficient. The drag coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the object's shape and surface roughness.

3. What is the difference between form drag and skin friction drag?

Form drag is the resistance caused by the shape of the object, while skin friction drag is caused by the roughness of the object's surface. In most cases, form drag is the dominant factor in calculating drag.

4. How does the Reynolds number affect drag?

The Reynolds number is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces in a fluid. It is used to determine whether the flow is laminar or turbulent. In general, as the Reynolds number increases, the drag force also increases.

5. Why do circular reference problems occur when calculating drag?

Circular reference problems occur when the drag coefficient is dependent on the drag force, and the drag force is dependent on the drag coefficient. This creates a loop in the calculation, leading to incorrect or infinite values. To avoid this, the drag coefficient should be calculated using experimental data or simplified models, rather than relying on the drag force itself.