Calculating Distances Along Latitudes on Earth

• Thread starter DS2C
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distance from a given location along a circle with a latitude of 43 degrees to both the equator and the North Pole, using the circumference of the Earth (40,000 km) as a reference. The solution for part "a" is approximately 4,777 km, while the solution for part "b" involves finding the second latitude (e.g. 47 degrees) and using it in a similar calculation, resulting in a distance of approximately 5,222 km. The conversation also briefly mentions the latitude of the North Pole being 90 degrees.
DS2C

Homework Statement

Suppose your location has a latitude of 43 degrees and the circumference of the Earth is 40,000 km. Measure the distance from your location along a circle. How far would you have to travel if you go a) to the equator, and b) to the North Pole

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part "a" I got about 4,777 km. But not sure how to go about part "b". I need the a new latitude but not sure how to get it. I originally thought about subtracting 43 degrees form 360 degrees, but that seems way too big as it's the whole circumference of the Earth minus the portion from problem "a".
Please see attached image. I need to find angle NOT I think.

Physics news on Phys.org
Image of work

Attachments

• IMG_4248.JPG
    IMG_4248.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 394
Actually I think I might have it. If I separate it into four quadrants, E to N would be 90 degrees. Which would make T to N 47 degrees.

What is the latitude of the North Pole?

Chestermiller said:
What is the latitude of the North Pole?
This is my first tussle with latitudes etc. But from my previous post, I will be willing to bet it's 90 degrees.

DS2C said:
This is my first tussle with latitudes etc. But from my previous post, I will be willing to bet it's 90 degrees.
So how many degrees of latitude are there between 43 N and the North Pole?

Likes DS2C
Chestermiller said:
So how many degrees of latitude are there between 43 N and the North Pole?
47 degrees. So would I continue as:

[(47/360) x 40,000] / (360) = 5222 km approximately?

DS2C said:
47 degrees. So would I continue as:

[(47/360) x 40,000] / (360) = 5222 km approximately?
Do you really need to ask?

Chestermiller said:
Do you really need to ask?
I got that part since it was done the same was as problem "a". The part that I was unsure about was finding the second latitude as I was originally subtracting the given from 360. I got it now. Thanks for your reply sir.

Related to Calculating Distances Along Latitudes on Earth

1. What is the purpose of using geometry to solve latitude problems?

The purpose of using geometry to solve latitude problems is to accurately determine the location of a point on the Earth's surface by measuring its distance from the equator and the angle it makes with the Earth's axis.

2. How do you calculate the latitude of a point using geometry?

To calculate the latitude of a point using geometry, you need to measure the angle between the point and the Earth's axis, also known as the zenith angle. This angle is then used in trigonometric formulas to determine the latitude of the point.

3. What is the difference between geographical latitude and geocentric latitude?

The geographical latitude of a point is the angle between a line connecting the point to the center of the Earth and the Earth's equatorial plane. On the other hand, geocentric latitude is the angle between the same line and the Earth's rotational axis. The two values can differ due to the Earth's oblate shape.

4. Can geometry be used to calculate latitudes on other planets?

Yes, geometry can be used to calculate latitudes on other planets as long as there are reference points, such as the equator and rotational axis, to measure angles from.

5. What is the significance of knowing latitudes in navigation?

Knowing latitudes is crucial in navigation as it helps determine the shortest distance and direction between two points on the Earth's surface. It also assists in mapping and determining time zones.