Area of triangle on sphere problem.

In summary: I too believe that there's a typo in the problem, either as it was originally stated or as it was written here. In either case, I believe the intent was to describe a triangular region on the Earth's surface as Ray describes it. It should be straightforward to calculate the area of such a triangular region without the need for anything very complicated.Hint: Consider the slice that reaches all the way down to the south pole and is 30° degrees wide at the equator.Looking back at your diagram I see your confusion. You are thinking of the correct triangle (allowing for the obvious errors in the wording of the question), but you have only one right angle.Any NS line (any line
toughcanesrock

Homework Statement

What is the area of a triangle on Earth that goes from the North Pole down to the equator, through the prime meridian, across the equator to 30 degrees east longitude, then back up to the equator? The radius of the Earth is about 6378 km.

Homework Equations

alpha + beta + gamma = pi + (A/R)

r' = Rsin(r/R)

dA = R*sin(r/R)*dtheta

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble with knowing how to go about solving this. I'm not 100% sure these equations would even help me get to the answer. I think some of my trouble is with understanding the wording of the problem. But even if I knew exactly what the triangle looked like, I would only know the radius of the earth, the length of equator line portion of the triangle, and possibly the spherical length from the north pole to the equator.

Physics news on Phys.org
toughcanesrock said:

Homework Statement

What is the area of a triangle on Earth that goes from the North Pole down to the equator, through the prime meridian, across the equator to 30 degrees east longitude, then back up to the equator? The radius of the Earth is about 6378 km.
Read this problem statement carefully. Given the directions, I don't think you can draw a spherical triangle as described. :wink:

SteamKing said:
Read this problem statement carefully. Given the directions, I don't think you can draw a spherical triangle as described. :wink:
Ok, after staring at this for an hour, I think all I need help with is drawing it. It goes from NP to the equator, through PM, across equator to 30 degrees east longitude, then back up to equator... That does not make any sense to me on how to draw that. I uploaded the only way that I can think to draw it. But how does that go "through" the PM? And how can it go back up to the equator? Wouldn't it go back up to the NP?

Attachments

• Snapshot.jpg
    Snapshot.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 523
toughcanesrock said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

alpha + beta + gamma = pi + (A/R)

r' = Rsin(r/R)

dA = R*sin(r/R)*dtheta

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble with knowing how to go about solving this. I'm not 100% sure these equations would even help me get to the answer. I think some of my trouble is with understanding the wording of the problem. But even if I knew exactly what the triangle looked like, I would only know the radius of the earth, the length of equator line portion of the triangle, and possibly the spherical length from the north pole to the equator.

I think there is a "typo". The triangle can only be a triangle if it goes from NP --> Eq. Pt A --> Eq. Pt. B --> NP. Surely you can draw that, or look on-line for appropriate diagrams.

Ray Vickson said:
I think there is a "typo". The triangle can only be a triangle if it goes from NP --> Eq. Pt A --> Eq. Pt. B --> NP. Surely you can draw that, or look on-line for appropriate diagrams.
I too believe that there's a typo in the problem, either as it was originally stated or as it was written here. In either case, I believe the intent was to describe a triangular region on the Earth's surface as Ray describes it. It should be straightforward to calculate the area of such a triangular region without the need for anything very complicated.

Hint: Consider the slice that reaches all the way down to the south pole and is 30° degrees wide at the equator.

Looking back at your diagram I see your confusion.
You are thinking of the correct triangle (allowing for the obvious errors in the wording of the question), but you have only one right angle.
Any NS line (any line from the N pole to the equator) crosses the equator at 90o, so your triangle should have two right angles.
That is of course difficult to draw on flat paper, but you can show it on a sketch of a sphere.

Related to Area of triangle on sphere problem.

What is the "area of triangle on sphere problem"?

The "area of triangle on sphere problem" refers to the mathematical problem of determining the surface area of a triangle on the surface of a sphere. It is often used in geometry and navigation.

How is the area of a triangle on a sphere calculated?

The area of a triangle on a sphere is calculated using the formula A = (r^2)(α + β + γ − π), where r is the radius of the sphere and α, β, and γ are the angles of the triangle.

Why is the area of a triangle on a sphere different from a triangle on a flat surface?

The area of a triangle on a sphere is different from a triangle on a flat surface because the surface of a sphere is curved, while a flat surface is not. This means that the angles and side lengths of the triangle will be different, resulting in a different area calculation.

What is the importance of the "area of triangle on sphere problem" in real-world applications?

The "area of triangle on sphere problem" is important in real-world applications such as navigation and mapping. It allows for accurate calculations of distances and angles on the surface of a sphere, which is useful for things like determining flight paths or plotting locations on a globe.

Are there any special cases or exceptions to consider when calculating the area of a triangle on a sphere?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when calculating the area of a triangle on a sphere. These include when the triangle is located on the equator or poles of the sphere, or when one or more angles of the triangle are 180 degrees. In these cases, the formula for calculating the area may need to be adjusted.