Calculating Distance, Speed, and Displacement in a Skidding Car

• Thread starter layaya
  • Start date
In summary, Julio's truck traveled a total distance of 45 miles and had a displacement of 39.55 miles in a northwest direction. His average speed was 55 mph. After losing power, the car traveled an additional 83.33 feet before coming to a complete stop.
layaya
1. julios truck drives north for 20 minutes at 65mph, west for 15 minutes at 50mph, and a final 5 minutes north at 30mph before it breaks down a) what is the total didtance he travled b)what is the magnitude and direction of his displacement c)what was his average speed in mi/h d) when the engine stopped his car skidded decelerating at a constant rate until it came to a complete stop 10 seconds later. how much farther did it travel after losing power?

2.i don't know

3. i don't know

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know then, please tell me...

If you have no idea, please read your some pages in your textbook

We always like helping people who show a little effort.

a) what do you know about distance traveled, speed and time?

b) what's the difference between distance and displacement?

c) how do you find average speed when you know displacement and time?

d) You know the speed at the moment the engine breaks down, this will be initial velocity in the "skidding movement", what is the car's speed when it is stopped (the same as you have when sitting in front of the TV), you have the time. First use a certain formula involving the three known and acceleration, then find displacement here by another formula, displacement given by the four variables you know have.

If you're willing to show that you want to do this yourselves, I'll be glad to help you along.

layaya said:
1. julios truck drives north for 20 minutes at 65mph, west for 15 minutes at 50mph, and a final 5 minutes north at 30mph before it breaks down a) what is the total didtance he travled b)what is the magnitude and direction of his displacement c)what was his average speed in mi/h d) when the engine stopped his car skidded decelerating at a constant rate until it came to a complete stop 10 seconds later. how much farther did it travel after losing power?

2.i don't know

3. i don't know

Related to Calculating Distance, Speed, and Displacement in a Skidding Car

1. How do you calculate distance?

Distance is calculated by multiplying speed by time. This formula is known as the distance formula: distance = speed x time.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. In other words, velocity takes into account both speed and direction.

3. What units are used for measuring distance and speed?

In the metric system, distance is typically measured in meters (m) and speed is measured in meters per second (m/s). In the imperial system, distance is measured in feet (ft) and speed is measured in miles per hour (mph).

4. How do you convert between different units of distance and speed?

To convert between units, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert meters per second (m/s) to miles per hour (mph), you can multiply the value in m/s by a conversion factor of 2.237. To convert feet (ft) to meters (m), you can multiply the value in ft by a conversion factor of 0.3048.

5. How does time affect distance and speed?

The longer the time, the greater the distance an object will travel. However, the speed of the object also plays a role. A faster speed will cover a greater distance in a shorter amount of time. Therefore, time affects both distance and speed, but in different ways.