Finding speed when given deceleration and distance?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a car leaving skid marks on a highway and the need to estimate the car's speed before braking. The formula v^2 -u^2=2as is suggested to find the answer.
Mady Hernandez
Hi!
I have this homework problem that has me completely stumped. Any help is greatly appreciated!

In coming to a stop, a car leaves skid marks 80m long on the highway. Assuming a deceleration of 7.00m/s2, estimate the speed of the car just before braking.

I just can't figure out what formula to use. If you can help, thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mady Hernandez said:
Hi!
I have this homework problem that has me completely stumped. Any help is greatly appreciated!

In coming to a stop, a car leaves skid marks 80m long on the highway. Assuming a deceleration of 7.00m/s2, estimate the speed of the car just before braking.

I just can't figure out what formula to use. If you can help, thank you so much!
You can solve it using v^2 -u^2=2as.
Since you decelerating, put in a=-7.
You need to find u here

Related to Finding speed when given deceleration and distance?

1. What is the formula for finding speed when given deceleration and distance?

The formula is final speed = initial speed - (deceleration x time), where the initial speed is the starting speed, deceleration is the rate at which the speed decreases, and time is the duration of deceleration.

2. How do you calculate deceleration when given final speed and initial speed?

The formula is deceleration = (final speed - initial speed) / time, where the time is the duration of deceleration.

3. Can the distance traveled affect the final speed when decelerating?

Yes, the distance traveled can affect the final speed when decelerating. The longer the distance, the more time there is for the speed to decrease, resulting in a lower final speed.

4. What is the unit of measurement for deceleration?

The unit of measurement for deceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²).

5. How can I convert the final speed to kilometers per hour?

To convert the final speed from meters per second to kilometers per hour, multiply the final speed by 3.6. For example, if the final speed is 10 m/s, then the speed in kilometers per hour would be 10 x 3.6 = 36 km/h.