Calculating Distance of Two Runners' Paths | Runner A vs Runner B

• Thread starter AladdinSane
  • Start date
In summary, Runner A and B are both running towards each other from opposite sides of a flagpole. Runner A is 3.6 km west of the flagpole with a constant velocity of 2.6 km/h, while Runner B is 4.0 km east of the flagpole with a constant velocity of 5.2 km/h. The question is asking for the distance from the flagpole when their paths cross. To solve this, their equations can be set equal to each other. Assuming their paths have crossed, the total distance they both ran can be calculated.
AladdinSane
I have another question that is pestering me. Runner A is 3.6 km west of a flagpole and is running w/ constant V of 2.6 km/h while Runner B is 4.0 km east of the flagpole and is running w/ constant V of 5.2 km/ hour west. What will the distance be of the two runners from the flagpole when their paths cross?

I do not understand how you determine when their paths cross. I understand that you have to set their equations equal, but I do not understand what those equations would even be.. :confused: Thanks a million for you help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What direction ss Runner A running in?

AladdinSane said:
I have another question that is pestering me. Runner A is 3.6 km west of a flagpole and is running w/ constant V of 2.6 km/h while Runner B is 4.0 km east of the flagpole and is running w/ constant V of 5.2 km/ hour west. What will the distance be of the two runners from the flagpole when their paths cross?

I do not understand how you determine when their paths cross. I understand that you have to set their equations equal, but I do not understand what those equations would even be.. :confused: Thanks a million for you help.

Assume their paths have crossed. How much (in km) did they both run? (Hint: assume one 'runner' was standing (:biggrin:), and the other was running towards him, in order to get their paths crossed. What was the total distance he ran?)

Related to Calculating Distance of Two Runners' Paths | Runner A vs Runner B

What is the "Two Runners Question"?

The "Two Runners Question" is a thought experiment that explores the concept of relative motion. It involves two runners moving at different speeds and in different directions, and asks whether they will ever cross paths.

What is the scenario of the "Two Runners Question"?

In the scenario, two runners, Runner A and Runner B, start at the same point and run in opposite directions. Runner A runs at a constant speed of 10 miles per hour, while Runner B runs at a constant speed of 8 miles per hour. The question asks whether they will ever cross paths.

What is the answer to the "Two Runners Question"?

The answer is that yes, Runner A and Runner B will eventually cross paths. This is because Runner A is moving faster than Runner B, so they will eventually catch up to and pass Runner B. The exact time and location of their meeting will depend on their respective speeds, but it is guaranteed to happen.

What concepts does the "Two Runners Question" illustrate?

The "Two Runners Question" illustrates the concepts of relative motion and velocity. It shows that an object's motion and position are not absolute, but are dependent on the frame of reference. In this case, the runners' motion and position are relative to each other.

Why is the "Two Runners Question" important in science?

The "Two Runners Question" is important because it highlights the importance of understanding relative motion and reference frames. It also shows how scientific concepts can be explored through thought experiments, allowing scientists to gain a better understanding of the world around us.