Kinematics of three runners in a race

In summary, the problem of determining the time interval between runner A and runner C cannot be solved without knowing the speed of one of the runners. It is possible to express any five unknowns in terms of the other one, but there is no unique solution with the given information. The only given information is that runner A beats runner B by 10 meters and runner B beats runner C by 10 meters. Without knowing the speed of runner A or runner C, it is impossible to determine the time interval between them.
bkraabel

Homework Statement

Runners A, B, and C run a 100-m race, each at a constant speed.
Runner A takes first place, beating runner B by 10 m. Runner
B takes second place, beating runner C by 10 m. By what time
interval does runner A beat runner C?

Homework Equations

d = 100 m
Δd = 10 m
Δt[itex]_{i}[/itex] = time for runner i to travel 100 m
v[itex]_{i}[/itex] = speed of runner i

The Attempt at a Solution

Can this problem be solved without knowing the speed of one of the runners? Here's a few equalities for this problem:

v[itex]_{a}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{d}{Δt_{a}}[/itex]
v[itex]_{b}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{d-Δd}{Δt_{a}}[/itex]
v[itex]_{c}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{v_{b}Δt_{b}-Δd}{Δt_{b}}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Try assuming a couple of different velocities for runner A and then work out the time difference. Does the time difference vary with the velocity of runner A? This should answer your question.

Note that runner A beats runner C by more than 20 m.

bkraabel said:
Note that runner A beats runner C by more than 20 m.

Yikes, that's right!

I am deleting my post accordingly to think more about this.

I tried assuming a few speeds for runner A and found that the interval between runners A and C depends on the speed of runner A. In other words, there is no unique solution with the given information.

The problem has six unknowns (3 speeds and 3 times) and five equations. It is fairly trivial to express any five unknowns in terms of the other one.

Right all around. At least I got the 'no unique solution' part right ...

time for C

A beats C by a time period of 20/VC

VC=velocity of C

nil1996 said:
A beats C by a time period of 20/VC

VC=velocity of C

This assumes that A beats C by 20 meters. This is not given. What is given is that B beats C by 10 meters, which happens when B is at the finish line. When A is at the finish line, B is not there, so you can't assume that he is 10 meters ahead of C yet.

Related to Kinematics of three runners in a race

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of mechanics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction.

How is acceleration calculated in a race?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, often measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

How can we measure the distance between runners in a race?

The distance between runners in a race can be measured using a measuring tool, such as a measuring tape or a GPS device, or by calculating the difference in positions using a coordinate system.

What factors can affect the kinematics of three runners in a race?

The kinematics of three runners in a race can be affected by various factors including the runners' individual speeds, accelerations, positions, and the presence of external forces such as wind or obstacles on the race track.