Calculating Displacement with Air Drag: A Differential Equation Approach

In summary, the formula for displacement of a sphere being accelerated in space by a force \vec{F} with drag force taken into account is incorrect. The correct formula is s=\frac{1}{c_{1}}\left(t+\frac{exp(-\frac{c_{1}}{m}t)-1}{\frac{c_{1}}{m}}\right) for D=-c_{1}v and s=\frac{v_{m}m}{\sqrt{Fc_{2}}}ln cosh\left(t\frac{\sqrt{Fc_{2}}}{m}\right) for D=-c_{2}v^{2}. The equation can also be solved using separation of variables, and
Espen
This is not a homework problem, just an idea I had.

If we have a sphere which is being accelerated in space by a force [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] and we take the drag into account, what would the displacement be after t seconds? If the drag force is [tex]\vec{D}=-c_1v-c_2v^2[/tex], then the acceleration would be [tex]\vec{a}=\frac{\vec{F}+\vec{D}}{m} \,,\, a=\frac{F-c_1v-c_2v^2}{m}[/tex] such that the displacement [tex]s=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{F-c_1v-c_2v^2}{m}\right)t^2[/tex]. Is this correct? Could someone help me solve this differential equation, if it has a solution?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, that's not the correct formula for the displacement. The well-known [tex]s=\frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/tex] holds only if the acceleration is constant. In this case, the acceleration is a quadratic function of velocity, so we have one scalar differential equation:
[tex]a=\frac{dv}{dt}=A-Bv-Cv^{2}[/tex]
where A= F/m, B=C1/m and C=C2/m are constants. The equation can be solved using separation of variables, as
[tex](1) \int dt=\int\frac{dv}{A-Bv-Cv^{2}}[/tex]

I can solve this easily if either B or C is equal to zero.
  • [tex]D=-c_{1}v[/tex]
    Then by solving (1), and then another integration with respect to time, we get (for v(0) = 0)
    [tex]s(t)=\frac{F}{c_{1}}\left(t+\frac{exp(-\frac{c_{1}}{m}t)-1}{\frac{c_{1}}{m}}\right)[/tex]
    where s(t) is the displacement after time t.
  • [tex]D=-c_{2}v^{2}[/tex]

[tex]v_{m}=\sqrt{\frac{F}{c_{2}}}[/tex]
    is the terminal velocity (where D=F). Then using partial fraction decomposition on (1), integration and then another integration with recpect to time, we get (again for zero velocity at the begining):
    [tex]s(t)=\frac{v_{m}m}{\sqrt{Fc_{2}}}ln cosh\left(t\frac{\sqrt{Fc_{2}}}{m}\right)[/tex]
    where s(t) is the displacement at time t.

I'm too lazy at the moment to solve the problem for generally non-zero C1 and non-zero C2, which should be possible, but some difficulties might be encountered when inverting the function. I hope you got the picture how it works. Also, you can use numerical solution of the equation, which is the common approach in physics.

And finally, I apologize for any inconvenience caused by my English or incorrect English math terms.

I solved the integral to

[tex]\int \frac{dv}{A-Bv-Cv^2}=-\frac{2\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{B+2Cv}{\sqrt{-B^2-4AC}}\right)}{\sqrt{-B^2-4AC}}[/tex], so then [tex]t=-\frac{2\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{B+2Cv}{\sqrt{-B^2-4AC}}\right)}{\sqrt{-B^2-4AC}}[/tex]

Working with this, I get that

[tex]v=\frac{\sqrt{-B^2-4AC}\tan\left(\frac{\sqrt{-B^2-4AC}}{2}t\right)-B}{2C}[/tex]

If this is correct, I want to integrate it in order to get an expression for the displacement over time.

[tex]s=\int \frac{\sqrt{-B^2-4AC}}{2C}\cdot\tan\left(\frac{\sqrt{-B^2-4AC}}{2}t\right)-\frac{B}{2C}\rm{d}t[/tex]

I will simplify it be setting [tex]\frac{\sqrt{-B^2-4AC}}{2}=k_1[/tex] and get

[tex]s=\frac{k_1}{C}\cdot\int\tan\left(k_1\cdot t\right)\rm{d}t-\int\frac{B}{2C}\rm{d}t=\frac{k_1}{C}\left(-\frac{\log\left(\cos\left(k_1t\right)\right)}{k_1}\right)-\frac{B}{2C}t+s_0[/tex]

How does this look?

Espen said:
[tex]t=-\frac{2\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{B+2Cv}{\sqrt{-B^2-4AC}}\right)}{\sqrt{-B^2-4AC}}[/tex]
By [tex]tan^{-1}[/tex] you mean [tex]tanh^{-1}[/tex], right? Also note that the expression [tex]\sqrt{-B^2-4AC}[/tex] would be imaginary, since constants A, B and C are positive.
My solution of the integral is:

[tex]t=\frac{1}{\sqrt{B^2+4AC}}ln\left(\frac{\sqrt{B^2+4AC}+B+2Cv}{\sqrt{B^2+4AC}-B-2Cv}\right)[/tex]

which could be written like yours considering the fact that:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}ln\left(\frac{1+x}{1-x}\right)=tanh^{-1}[/tex]

The rest seems fine, it is even consistent with my solution for B=0.

Last edited:
Do remember, though, that the proper quadratic law for the air drag is [tex]-cv|v|[/tex], rather than [tex]-cv^{2}[/tex] for some constant c.

arildno said:
Do remember, though, that the proper quadratic law for the air drag is [tex]-cv|v|[/tex], rather than [tex]-cv^{2}[/tex] for some constant c.
But since the drag force acts in opposite direction to the velocity, for an accelerating force F we can use scalar equations with [tex]F_{d}=-cv^{2}[/tex]. So the above calculations are correct.

Well, that would depend upon the problem you were to model with this.
If you think of, say, launched projectile problem within a constant gravity field, then the general form is necessary.

The force law on the way up (velocity "positive") wll go as -cv^2, whereas on its way down (velocity "negative") as +cv^2.

The better general formula then would be
[tex]\vec{F_{d}}=-cv^{2}\vec{\hat{v}}[/tex],
where [tex]\vec{\hat{v}}[/tex] is a unit vector codirectional with velocity.
But anyway, with some common sense you can always decide the correct direction of the drag force, so it doesn't accelerate the projectile.
Simple [tex]}-cv^{2}[/tex] is a much better function to calculate with, than some expression with an absolute value.
I agree with you and understand your point. Thanks for the comment.

Related to Calculating Displacement with Air Drag: A Differential Equation Approach

1. What is displacement with air drag?

Displacement with air drag refers to the movement of an object through a fluid (usually air) that creates resistance or drag on the object's motion. This can affect the object's displacement, or change in position, over time.

2. How does air drag affect displacement?

Air drag acts as a force that opposes the motion of an object, causing it to slow down and potentially change direction. This can result in a decrease in displacement compared to what would be expected in the absence of air drag.

3. What factors influence the amount of air drag on an object?

The amount of air drag on an object depends on several factors, including the object's speed, size, shape, and the density of the fluid it is moving through. Additionally, the roughness of the object's surface and the properties of the fluid (such as temperature and viscosity) can also affect air drag.

4. How can air drag be calculated or estimated?

There are various mathematical equations and models that can be used to calculate or estimate air drag on an object, depending on the specific scenario. These often involve considering factors such as the object's velocity, surface area, and the properties of the fluid it is moving through.

5. How does air drag impact real-world applications?

Air drag can have significant effects on many real-world applications, such as the design and performance of vehicles, sports equipment, and aircraft. Understanding and accounting for air drag is crucial in these fields to optimize efficiency and safety.