Calculating Displacement Using Vectors and Angles

In summary, the conversation involves solving a word problem about a roller coaster's displacement. The roller coaster moves 85m horizontally, then 45m at a 30 degree angle above the horizontal. The individual is unsure of which direction to draw the line for the angle and is advised to draw it to the northeast.
jubbly
Hey guys I'm lost with this word problem.
A roller coaster moves 85m horizontally, then travels 45m at an angel of 30.0° above the horizontal. What is its displacement from its starting point?

I started out by drawing a 85m line. But now I'm confused because I have to set a 30 degree angle. Would I draw a line to the northeast or northwest?

That's all the need I'll need for now. Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
jubbly said:
I have to set a 30 degree angle. Would I draw a line to the northeast or northwest?

You would draw it NorthEast, or 3 o'clock angle, or 30 degrees, or Up-Right, etc. From there, you can find the total displacement from starting point (assuming you can see the triangle).

Related to Calculating Displacement Using Vectors and Angles

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow with its length corresponding to the magnitude and its direction pointing in the direction of the vector.

2. What is displacement?

Displacement is the shortest straight-line distance between an object's initial position and its final position. It is a vector quantity as it has both magnitude (distance) and direction.

3. How is displacement different from distance?

Distance is the total length traveled by an object, while displacement is the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position. Distance is a scalar quantity, while displacement is a vector quantity.

4. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector quantity?

A scalar quantity has only magnitude (size) and does not have a direction associated with it. Examples of scalar quantities include distance, speed, and time. A vector quantity has both magnitude and direction and is represented by an arrow. Examples of vector quantities include displacement, velocity, and force.

5. How do you calculate the resultant displacement of two or more vectors?

To calculate the resultant displacement of two or more vectors, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions. First, add the x-components and y-components of the vectors separately. Then, use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant vector. Finally, use trigonometric functions to find the direction of the resultant vector.