Calculating Derivatives of a Function on an Open Interval ]0,1[

In summary, a function f is defined on an open interval ]0,1[ by setting f(x) = \int_{1/2}^\sqrt{x}} tln\frac{1+t^2}{1-t^2}dt. The first three derivatives of f, f'(x), f''(x), and f'''(x), are calculated using the product and quotient rule. The open interval is necessary due to the undefined nature of the integrand at 1 and 0. The first derivative, f'(x), is found to be \sqrt{x} ln\frac{1+x}{1-x}, while the second derivative, f''(x), is calculated as \frac{ln\frac{1
danni7070

Homework Statement

Lets define a function f on an open interval ]0,1[ by setting

[tex] f(x) = \int_{1/2}^\sqrt{x}} tln\frac{1+t^2}{1-t^2}dt [/tex]

Calculate the first three deriatives f'(x), f''(x) and f'''(x)

Homework Equations

Product and Quotent rule.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok. First of all. Does that open interval ]0,1[ have any meaning to the calculations?

I took [tex] f'(x) = \sqrt{x} ln \frac{1+x}{1-x}dx - \frac{1}{2} ln \frac{1+\sqrt{1/2}}{1-\sqrt{1/2}} [/tex]

Is that the right way to do it ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's right. The integrand is undefined at 1 and 0. Hence the restriction to (0,1).

Ooops. Correction. Your constant part shouldn't be there. If the antiderivative of f(t) is F(t), the integral from a to x is F(x)-F(a). The derivative of that is just F'(x)=f(x). The a part disappears.

Jesus Christ. Of course. x cannot be 0 because of sqrt(x) and not 1 because of the (1-x) thing.

I just thougt that it was ment to trick you to say "lets define on an open interval..."

Clearly it did in my case.

Thanks Dick.

[tex] f ' (x) = \sqrt{x}ln\frac{1+x}{1-x} - CONSTANT[/tex]

d/dx constant = 0

[tex] d/dx \sqrt{x} = \frac {1}{2\sqrt{x}} [/tex]

[tex] u = \frac{1+x}{1-x} [/tex] and [tex] u ' = \frac{(1-x)+(1+x)}{(1-x)^2} = \frac {2}{(1-x)^2} [/tex]

[tex] g(u) = ln(u) [/tex] and [tex] g ' (u) = \frac{1}{x} [/tex]

[tex] d/dx ln\frac{1+x}{1-x} = \frac{1}{x} \frac{2}{(x-1)^2} = \frac{2}{x(1-x)^2} [/tex]

so...

[tex] f '' (x) = \frac {ln\frac{1+x}{1-x}}{2\sqrt{x}} + \frac{2\sqrt{x}}{x(1-x)^2} [/tex]

Is this correct? And if it is, can I simplify the result ?

Last edited:
As I explained in my last note drop the constant in f'(x). f(x) COULD be defined on [0,1), but they chose not to (it is defined at 0 - I was thinking they had a log(x) in there somewhere). I'm not getting the same thing as you when I differentiate the log. But you might find it easier to handle the log by writing log((1+x)/(1-x))=log(1+x)-log(1-x).

Jeez if i do that with the log I will be forever doing this. Or maybe not.

EDIT:

[tex] f ' (x) = \sqrt{x}ln(1+x) - \sqrt{x}ln(1-x) [/tex]

[tex] d/dx \sqrt{x} ln(1+x) = \frac{ln(1+x)}{2\sqrt{x}} + \frac{\sqrt{x}}{1+x}[/tex]

[tex] d/dx \sqrt{x}ln(1-x) = \frac{ln(1-x)}{2\sqrt{x}} + \frac{\sqrt{x}}{1-x} [/tex]

so

[tex] f '' (x) = (\frac{ln(1+x)}{2\sqrt{x}} + \frac{\sqrt{x}}{1+x}) - (\frac{ln(1-x)}{2\sqrt{x}} + \frac{\sqrt{x}}{1-x}) [/tex]

and for f'''(x) I just go quatant crazy.

Last edited:
[tex] f ''' (x) = \frac{\frac{2\sqrt{x}}{(1+x)} - \frac{ln(1+x)}{\sqrt{x}}}{4x} [/tex]

Correct? No, its incorrect...

Last edited:
You are forgetting a parenthesis in the FIRST derivative - both logs are multiplied by sqrt(x). But I just meant to differentiate the log by differentiating log(1+x)-log(1-x) -> 1/(1+x)+1/(1-x) -> 2/(1-x^2).

[tex] f ' (x) = \sqrt{x}ln(1+x) - \sqrt{x}ln(1-x) [/tex]

[tex] d/dx \sqrt{x} ln(1+x) = \frac{ln(1+x)}{2\sqrt{x}} + \frac{\sqrt{x}}{1+x}[/tex]

[tex] d/dx \sqrt{x}ln(1-x) = \frac{ln(1-x)}{2\sqrt{x}} + \frac{\sqrt{x}}{1-x} [/tex]

so

[tex] f '' (x) = (\frac{ln(1+x)}{2\sqrt{x}} + \frac{\sqrt{x}}{1+x}) - (\frac{ln(1-x)}{2\sqrt{x}} + \frac{\sqrt{x}}{1-x}) [/tex]

You have a sign error on the last term, the derivative of log(1-x)=(-1)/(1-x). One more derivative to go.

Ok, I think I got it now. And yes of course there is a minus sign :)

I just put the result I got

[tex] f ''' (x) = (\frac{\frac{2\sqrt{x}}{1+x}-\frac{ln(1+x)}{\sqrt{x}}}{4x} + \frac{\frac{1+x}{2\sqrt{x}}-\sqrt{x}}{(1+x)^2})-(\frac{\frac{2\sqrt{x}}{1-x}+\frac{ln(1-x}{\sqrt{x}}}{4x} - \frac{\frac{1-x}{2\sqrt{x}} + \sqrt{x}}{(1-x)^2})[/tex]

Hope you're right. It's kind of hopeless to check something like that. Even if you find something, it's just as likely to be a TeX error as anything else. I know you basically know what you are doing.

Yes, but thanks a lot for the help. But what's the meaning of finding f'''(x)

f'(x) tells you where the CP's are ans so..

f''(x) tellst you where the lines turn

but what the hell does f'''(x) do other then robbing you valiable time?

It tells you where the second derivative is increasing and decreasing. Which is not something you generally need when sketching a graph. Here it's just for practice (i.e. robbing you of valuable time).

Related to Calculating Derivatives of a Function on an Open Interval ]0,1[

What is the definition of a derivative on an open interval?

The derivative of a function on an open interval ]0,1[ is the rate of change of the function at any point within the interval. It is denoted by f'(x) or dy/dx and represents the slope of the tangent line at that point.

How do you calculate the derivative of a function on an open interval?

The derivative can be calculated using the limit definition of a derivative, which is the limit of the difference quotient as the interval approaches 0. This can also be expressed as the derivative at a point x = a is equal to the limit of (f(x) - f(a)) / (x - a) as x approaches a.

What is the difference between a derivative on an open interval and a derivative on a closed interval?

The main difference is that a derivative on an open interval does not include the endpoints, while a derivative on a closed interval includes the endpoints. This means that the derivative on an open interval is only defined for values within the interval, while the derivative on a closed interval is defined for all points in the interval.

What are the common techniques for finding derivatives on an open interval?

The most common techniques include using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. Other techniques such as implicit differentiation and logarithmic differentiation can also be used depending on the complexity of the function.

Why is it important to calculate derivatives on an open interval?

Calculating derivatives on an open interval is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function and its rate of change at any point within the interval. This information is useful in many areas of science and mathematics, including physics, engineering, economics, and more.