Calculating DeltaE for a Gas Expansion

• Thread starter liftedrifter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delta Gas
In summary, the problem asks to calculate the change in internal energy (DeltaE) for a gas that absorbs 42J of heat and does 14J of work on the surroundings. The equation used is DeltaH=DeltaE-Q, and solving for DeltaE gives a value of +28J. The process seems easy, but the validity of the solution is questioned.
liftedrifter

Homework Statement

Calculate DeltaE of a gas for a process in which the gas absorbs 42J of heat and does 14J of work on the surroundings. (ie the gas expands)

Homework Equations

DeltaH=DeltaE-Q

The Attempt at a Solution

42=deltaE-14

DeltaE=+28J

This is one of the last problems on my chem review and it just seems too easy. If anyone could verify my process that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
liftedrifter said:

The Attempt at a Solution

42=deltaE-14

DeltaE=+28J

This is one of the last problems on my chem review and it just seems too easy. If anyone could verify my process that would be great.

wouldn't then ΔE=42+14 ?

Related to Calculating DeltaE for a Gas Expansion

1. How do you calculate delta E for a gas?

To calculate delta E (change in energy) for a gas, you can use the formula delta E = n*Cv*delta T, where n is the number of moles of gas, Cv is the specific heat at constant volume, and delta T is the change in temperature.

2. What is the importance of calculating delta E for a gas?

Calculating delta E for a gas allows us to determine how much energy is being transferred into or out of the gas. This is important in understanding thermodynamic processes and can help us predict the behavior of gases in different conditions.

3. How does the number of moles of gas affect delta E?

The number of moles of gas, represented by the variable n, is directly proportional to delta E. This means that as the number of moles increases, delta E also increases, and vice versa.

4. Can delta E for a gas be negative?

Yes, delta E for a gas can be negative. This indicates that energy is being transferred out of the gas, resulting in a decrease in its temperature.

5. What factors can affect the value of delta E for a gas?

The value of delta E for a gas can be affected by the number of moles of gas, the specific heat at constant volume, and the change in temperature. Other factors such as pressure and volume can also indirectly impact delta E through their effect on temperature.