Calculating Delta for Red & Violet Light in a Rainbow

In summary, The conversation discusses the observation of a rainbow and the attempt to calculate the angle delta using the refraction indexes of red and violet light. The equations and attempt at a solution are also mentioned, with the question of how to calculate alpha in order to obtain delta.
Lindsayyyy
Hi everyone

Homework Statement

Let's say we observe a rainbow. We know the refraction index of the red and violet light, let's call them [tex] n_{1}=1.46 [/tex]and [tex]n_{2}1.47[/tex] Now I want to calculate the angle [tex] \delta [/tex]

Homework Equations

In a square the total angle is 360°, so we have:

[tex] 360°= \delta+\alpha+\alpha+(360°-4\beta)[/tex]

and

[tex]\delta= 4\beta-2\alpha=4arcsin(\frac {1} {n} sin\alpha)-2\alpha [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Thats my attempt thus far, which I wrote down in the relevant equations. I have two unkown variables, alpha and delta and I want to calculate alpha. Is there a way to calculate alpha in order to get delta?

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
What angle are you trying to calculate? Maybe it's just me but it isn't clear to me what angle is in question.

Wow, I failed, I wanted to attach a file, sorry for that. I want to calculate delta, but I need to find alpha first and I don't know how.

Attachments

• Unbenannt.JPG
    Unbenannt.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 403

Related to Calculating Delta for Red & Violet Light in a Rainbow

1. How is delta calculated for red and violet light in a rainbow?

Delta, or the difference in wavelengths between red and violet light in a rainbow, can be calculated by subtracting the wavelength of red light (approximately 700 nanometers) from the wavelength of violet light (approximately 400 nanometers). This gives a delta value of approximately 300 nanometers.

2. Why is delta important in understanding rainbows?

Delta is important in understanding rainbows because it helps to explain why we see different colors in a rainbow. The varying wavelengths of light are refracted and reflected at different angles by water droplets in the air, creating the visible spectrum of colors. The difference in wavelengths between red and violet light (delta) contributes to the distinct bands of color in a rainbow.

3. Can delta be calculated for other colors in a rainbow?

Yes, delta can be calculated for any two colors in a rainbow. The difference in wavelengths between any two colors will give a delta value. However, red and violet are typically used as reference points because they represent the longest and shortest wavelengths in the visible spectrum.

4. How is delta related to the frequency of light?

Delta and frequency are inversely related, meaning that as delta increases, frequency decreases and vice versa. This can be seen in the visible spectrum of light, where red light has a longer wavelength (lower delta) and lower frequency, while violet light has a shorter wavelength (higher delta) and higher frequency.

5. What other factors can affect delta in a rainbow?

In addition to the wavelength of light, other factors that can affect delta in a rainbow include the size and shape of water droplets, the angle at which the light is reflected and refracted, and the amount of moisture in the air. These factors can all influence the way light is dispersed and perceived in a rainbow.