Calculating Copper & Zinc Mass in Yellow Zinc Brass

In summary, brass is an alloy of copper and zinc with varying mass percentages producing different properties. Yellow zinc, a brass with high ductility and strength, contains 34%-37% zinc by mass. The mass range of copper in 185 g of yellow zinc is 116.55 g - 122.1 g, and the mass range of zinc in a sample with 46.5 g of copper is 62.9 g - 68.45 g. By using an average percentage and an actual mass value, the total mass of the yellow zinc can be calculated.
metalmagik

Homework Statement

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. Varying the mass percentages of the two metals produces brasses with different properties. A brass called yellow zinc has high ductility and strength and is 34%-37% zinc by mass.
(a) Find the mass range (in g) of copper in 185 g of yellow zinc.
(b) What is the mass range (in g) of zinc in a sample of yellow zinc that contains 46.5 g of copper?

Homework Equations

No specific formulas

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part (a), This is what I did roughly
(185 g)(.34) = 62.9 g of zinc 185 g - 62.9 g = 122.1 g of copper
(185 g)(.37) = 68.45 g of zinc 185 g - 68.45 g = 116.55 g of copper

Mass range = 116.55 g - 122.1 g of copper

I think that's correct. Now I just have no idea how to do part (b), there is no mass range for copper, just one number, 46.5.

Any ideas? Thanks guys :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If total is 100% and Zn is 34%-37%, how much is Cu?

Ah I see, I think I got it now. I work backwards using an average percentage and actual mass value to get the total mass of the yellow zinc. Thank you!

Related to Calculating Copper & Zinc Mass in Yellow Zinc Brass

1. How do you calculate the mass of copper and zinc in yellow zinc brass?

To calculate the mass of copper and zinc in yellow zinc brass, you will need to know the weight percentage of each element in the alloy. This information can typically be found in a material data sheet or by performing a chemical analysis of the brass. Once you have the weight percentage of copper and zinc, you can multiply it by the total mass of the alloy to determine the mass of each element.

2. What is the formula for calculating the mass of copper and zinc in yellow zinc brass?

The formula for calculating the mass of an element in an alloy is: mass of element = weight percentage of element x total mass of the alloy. Therefore, the formula for calculating the mass of copper and zinc in yellow zinc brass is: mass of copper = weight percentage of copper x total mass of the alloy and mass of zinc = weight percentage of zinc x total mass of the alloy.

3. Can the mass of copper and zinc in yellow zinc brass vary?

Yes, the mass of copper and zinc in yellow zinc brass can vary depending on the specific alloy composition. Different manufacturers may use different weight percentages of copper and zinc, resulting in slightly different mass calculations.

4. How is the weight percentage of each element determined in yellow zinc brass?

The weight percentage of each element in yellow zinc brass is typically determined through a chemical analysis of the alloy. This involves dissolving a sample of the alloy in an acid solution and then using various methods, such as spectrometry, to determine the weight percentage of each element present.

5. Why is it important to calculate the mass of copper and zinc in yellow zinc brass?

Calculating the mass of copper and zinc in yellow zinc brass is important for understanding the properties and characteristics of the alloy. It can also be useful for quality control purposes, as the weight percentage of each element can affect the performance and durability of the brass. Additionally, knowing the mass of copper and zinc in the alloy can help with cost calculations and material sourcing decisions.