Calculating Contact Forces Between Blocks on a Frictionless Surface

In summary, the problem involved finding the magnitude of contact forces between three blocks on a frictionless surface with given masses and applied force. The formula used was P=(M2/M1+M2) x F, but the calculated answers were incorrect. After consulting a thread, the mistake was identified and the correct approach was understood.
Lannie
This problem seemed very straightforward but I've somehow missed something...

Three blocks (M1, M2, M3) are in contact with each other on a frictionless, horizontal surface. A horizontal force is applied to M1.

If M1= 1.67kg, M2= 2.67kg, M3= 3.78kg, and F= 16.1 N:

a) what is the magnitude of the contact force between blocks 1 and 2
b) what is the magnitude of the contact force between blocks 2 and 3

I used the formula P=(M2/M1+M2) x F to find these contact forces, but the answers I got were not correct.

for a) I calculated P= (2.67/1.67+2.67) x 16.1
and for b) I calculated P= (3.78/2.67+3.78) x 16.1

This seemed like it should lead to the right answer, but it didn't work. Anyone know what I've done wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
that makes sense :) thanks for the help

Related to Calculating Contact Forces Between Blocks on a Frictionless Surface

1. What is a contact force?

A contact force is a type of force that occurs when two objects physically touch each other. It is also known as a mechanical force and can be either a push or pull.

2. What are some examples of contact forces?

Examples of contact forces include friction, normal force, tension, spring force, and applied force. Friction occurs when two objects rub against each other, normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object, tension is the force exerted by a stretched object, spring force is the force exerted by a compressed or stretched spring, and applied force is a force that is directly applied to an object by a person or another object.

3. How do you calculate the magnitude and direction of a contact force?

The magnitude and direction of a contact force can be calculated using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the force (F) is equal to the mass (m) of an object multiplied by its acceleration (a), or F=ma. The direction of the force is determined by the direction of the acceleration.

4. What is the difference between a contact force and a non-contact force?

A contact force requires physical contact between two objects, while a non-contact force does not require physical contact. Examples of non-contact forces include gravitational force, magnetic force, and electrical force.

5. How do contact forces affect the motion of objects?

Contact forces can affect the motion of objects by changing their speed, direction, or both. These forces can cause objects to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction depending on the magnitude and direction of the force.