Calculating components of a force applied at an angle

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving for the X and Y components of forces F1 and F2, which will be used in a later problem. The participants discuss different strategies for finding these components, including using trigonometry and visualizing the forces on an inclined plane. They also clarify that F1 is applied in the X direction and has a Y component of zero, and that the normal force on an angled surface can push a person sideways, affecting the applied force.
Kyle Spengler
1. The problem statement, all variables, and given/known data
Attached is a diagram of what I am trying to solve. I need to calculate the X and Y components for both F1 and F2. The results will then be used in a later problem that I've already solved but I am coming up with an error and I was unsure about this part of the problem.

upload_2017-3-10_19-27-34.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried converting the F1 value into the F1x component and then using trig to solve from that but my number in the later calculation aren't matching up and I think it's coming from this part. This problem yet very similar to the sliding block problem on an incline slope is very different in how things are oriented and set up and it's causing me lots of confusion.

upload_2017-3-10_19-43-57.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That diagram is unclear to me without the problem statement itself. Is the blue line supposed to represent an incline that the forces are being applied to that you want to find the next force in the x and y direction for? If so, keep in mind that both F1 and F2 will have both an x and y component acting on the incline that you need to sum.

I really only need to calculate one at a time. They are independent of each other but both forces need to be evaluated. The blue outlined area is a representation of the body the forces are being applied too. All that really needs to be noted is the angle of the inclined plane and the resulting X and Y components aligning with the coordinate system I drew.

Regardless it should be a simple case of trig. Tangent should do it looks like.

TJGilb said:
Regardless it should be a simple case of trig. Tangent should do it looks like.
Am I doing it correctly in assigning the X component of F1 to F1 itself and then using trig to solve for Y as I have drawn out in the triangle?

It looks off to me. When drawing the diagram, draw the 10 N as a horizontal force into the triangle, draw another coinciding line that is perpendicular to the triangle, and then connect them with a vertical line. If that doesn't make sense, I may be able to draw a picture and upload.

Edit: I've went ahead and uploaded a picture of what I was talking about.
Picture1.png

Last edited:
Kyle Spengler said:
Am I doing it correctly in assigning the X component of F1 to F1 itself and then using trig to solve for Y as I have drawn out in the triangle?
If I understand your diagram, F1 is applied in the X direction, so its X component is F1 and its Y component is zero.
Maybe what you intend to ask is the components normal to and parallel to the surface?

TJGilb said:
It looks off to me. When drawing the diagram, draw the 10 N as a horizontal force into the triangle, draw another coinciding line that is perpendicular to the triangle, and then connect them with a vertical line. If that doesn't make sense, I may be able to draw a picture and upload.

Edit: I've went ahead and uploaded a picture of what I was talking about.View attachment 114367
That is what I was thinking. Now I just use trig and solve for F1Y?

haruspex said:
If I understand your diagram, F1 is applied in the X direction, so its X component is F1 and its Y component is zero.
Maybe what you intend to ask is the components normal to and parallel to the surface?
That is what I am confused about. If I was pushing against an angled surface with a horizontal force, wouldn't there be resulting X and Y components of forces that can be calculated, like in this sitiation? How I visualised is is how TJGilb drew it. Is that what you're describing as well?

Kyle Spengler said:
That is what I was thinking. Now I just use trig and solve for F1Y?

Yes.

Kyle Spengler said:
If I was pushing against an angled surface with a horizontal force, wouldn't there be resulting X and Y components of forces
Imagining yourself applying a force can be deceptive. If you push against an angled surface the normal force will push you sideways. If you resist that then that changes the force you apply. Try thinking of it as attaching a very long rod to a joint on the surface and pushing on the far end of the rod.

Without knowing details of the problem, this is what have so far.

Attachments

• wedge.gif
    wedge.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 457

Related to Calculating components of a force applied at an angle

1. How do you calculate the horizontal component of a force applied at an angle?

The horizontal component of a force can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the cosine of the angle at which the force is applied.

2. What is the formula for calculating the vertical component of a force applied at an angle?

The vertical component of a force can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the sine of the angle at which the force is applied.

3. Is it possible for the horizontal and vertical components of a force to be equal?

Yes, it is possible for the horizontal and vertical components of a force to be equal if the angle at which the force is applied is 45 degrees.

4. How do you calculate the resultant force of two or more forces at different angles?

To calculate the resultant force, you need to find the horizontal and vertical components of each force and then add them together to get the total horizontal and vertical components. Finally, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude and the inverse tangent function to find the angle of the resultant force.

5. Can the angle at which a force is applied affect the magnitude of the resultant force?

Yes, the angle at which a force is applied can affect the magnitude of the resultant force. The magnitude of the resultant force is maximum when the angle between the two forces is 0 degrees, and it is minimum when the angle is 180 degrees.