Calculating Circulation of Field F w/ Stokes' Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses using the surface integral in Stokes' theorem to calculate the circulation of a given field around a curve in a specific direction. The question involves finding the limits for integration over a triangular region in the first octant. The person asking for help also mentions their limited understanding of certain concepts in multivariable calculus and their reliance on outside resources to supplement their learning.
mit_hacker

Homework Statement

Use the surface integral in Stokes' theorem to calculate the circulation of field F around the curve C in the indicated direction.

(3) F = (y)i + (xz)j + (x^2)k.
C: Boundary of the triangle cut from the plane x+y+z=1 by the first octant, counterclockwise as seen from above.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first calculated curl F which is (-x)i + (-2x)j + (z-1)k.
Moreover, r can be parameterized as x(i) + y(j) + (1-x-y)k.

The cross product of rx and ry will give i+j+k. The dot product of this and curl F will give -3x+z-1. Since dA = dxdy, I have to change z into x and y so this gives -4x-y.

From here, I do not know how to determine the limits. Can someone please tell me how to do so and if possible, provide suitable sites from where I can learn more on this?

Thank-you very much for the time and effort!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is much like the other questions you have posted!

C: Boundary of the triangle cut from the plane x+y+z=1 by the first octant, counterclockwise as seen from above.

This question is asking you to integrate curl F over the surface having C as boundary: that is, the portion of the plane x+ y+ z= 1 in the first octant.
It should be obvious that region is a triangle with vertices (1, 0, 0), (0, 1, 0), and (0, 0, 1). Projecting down to the xy-plane, just by ignoring the z coordinate, you get a triangle with vertices (1, 0), (0, 1), and (0, 0). That is just the triangle in the xy-plane bounded by the x-axis, the y-axis, and the line x+ y= 1. An obvious way to that is to take x from 0 to 1 and, for each x, take y from 0 to 1- x.

mit hacker, the thing that concerns me is that you should have learned this long before you were dealing with "surface integrals" and "Stoke's Theorem".

Same here!

Dear HallsofIvy,

Thanks a lot for your help!

Yo are correct. I should have learned all of this before entering Multivariable Calculus but unfortunately, my course only allows for superficial learning an does not offer a deep appreication and understanding of the subject. For instance, we do not even do Lagrange multipliers, application of partial derivatives etc.. Forget all that. We don't even have to know the physical meaning of line integral etc... We are only taught how to apply them to solve questions.

To cover up for all that, I refer to MIT's OpencourseWare (hence my name!) but I'm finding it difficult to understand certain things and now, you've pointed out why that is so! So I guess read that up before going any further.

Thanks for the advice!

With best regards,
mit_hacker

Oho! I was wonderering if you were actually a student at M.I.T. (I will confess my first reaction was "he won't last long"!)

No probs!

No problem! No hard feelings. Thanks a lot for your continued support!

Related to Calculating Circulation of Field F w/ Stokes' Theorem

What is Stokes' Theorem and why is it useful in calculating circulation of a field?

Stokes' Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the line integral of the same vector field along the boundary of the surface. This theorem is useful in calculating circulation of a field because it allows us to evaluate a difficult surface integral by converting it into a simpler line integral.

What is the formula for calculating circulation of a field using Stokes' Theorem?

The formula for calculating circulation of a field using Stokes' Theorem is ∫C F⋅dr = ∬S (∇×F)⋅dS, where C is the boundary curve of the surface S, F is the vector field, and ∇×F is the curl of the vector field.

When is it appropriate to use Stokes' Theorem in calculating circulation of a field?

Stokes' Theorem is appropriate to use when the field is conservative, meaning that its line integral is independent of the path taken. It is also applicable when the field is defined over a closed surface, and the boundary of that surface can be easily parameterized.

What are the steps for using Stokes' Theorem to calculate circulation of a field?

The steps for using Stokes' Theorem to calculate circulation of a field are as follows: 1) Determine the boundary curve C of the surface S, 2) Parameterize the boundary curve C, 3) Calculate the curl of the vector field ∇×F, 4) Parameterize the surface S, 5) Evaluate the surface integral ∬S (∇×F)⋅dS, and 6) Use the resulting value to calculate the line integral ∫C F⋅dr.

What are some real-world applications of calculating circulation of a field using Stokes' Theorem?

Stokes' Theorem has many practical applications, including in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and engineering. For example, it can be used to calculate the force of a fluid flowing around an object, the magnetic field around a wire, or the torque on a spinning object. It is also used in the design and analysis of various types of machinery and structures.