Calculating Charge on Capacitor: 6.0 uF, 12V, and 100ohm Resistor

Using the discharging equation q = q0 * exp(-t/RC), the initial charge (q0) is 12V * 6 uF = 72 uC. Plugging in the values, we get q = 72 uC * exp(-0.006/RC). At t = 0.006, q = 72 uC * exp(-0.006/RC) = 72 uC * exp(-0.006/RC) = 72 uC * 0.9825 = 70.74 uC. Therefore, the charge on the capacitor is approximately 70.74 uC after 6 ms. In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the charge on
SAT2400
Hard problemT_T Charge on capacitor??

Homework Statement

A 6.0 uF capacitor is charged up to 12V and subsequently connected through a witch to a 100ohm resistor. At t=0, the switch is closed. What's the charge on the capacitor 6.0ms(=.0006sec which is RC) after the switch is closed??

Homework Equations

Q= Qmax e^(-t/RC)

Please tell me some more equations like this(Q= Qmax e^(-t/RC), I =Imax e^(-t/RC)...etc..
do i use these when what is discharging??!or charging?!)

The Attempt at a Solution

-t/RC is -1 ?? is it right?!

I don't know what to do T_T/...

Help needed ASAP Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org

Charging: q = CV(1 - exp(-t/RC))
Discharging: q = q0 * exp(-t/RC)

In this case, i think you should use discharging eq and there is miscalculation in t/RC.

hmmm.. the answer is 3.3 x 10^-9C

I have no idea how to get this answer...

I do know that I should use Discharging Equation...

But I don't get the answer...

Please help me again! Thank you soo much!

6 ms = 0.006 s (you have an extra zero).

Related to Calculating Charge on Capacitor: 6.0 uF, 12V, and 100ohm Resistor

1. What is the "hard problem" charge on a capacitor?

The "hard problem" charge on a capacitor refers to the difficulty in determining the exact charge on a capacitor. This is due to the fact that the charge on a capacitor can vary depending on factors such as the material of the capacitor and the voltage applied.

2. How is the charge on a capacitor calculated?

The charge on a capacitor can be calculated by multiplying the capacitance (in farads) by the voltage (in volts). This can be represented by the equation Q = CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage.

3. Can the charge on a capacitor ever be negative?

No, the charge on a capacitor cannot be negative. Capacitors can only store positive charge, so the charge on a capacitor will always be either positive or zero.

4. How does the charge on a capacitor affect its performance?

The charge on a capacitor directly affects its performance. A higher charge on a capacitor means that it can store more energy and can discharge more quickly. This can impact the functionality of electronic devices that use capacitors.

5. Is it possible to measure the charge on a capacitor while it is in use?

Yes, it is possible to measure the charge on a capacitor while it is in use. This can be done using a tool called a capacitance meter, which can measure the amount of charge on a capacitor without disrupting its operation.