Calculating Charge on a 1.72 g Gold Nugget

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the net charge of a 1.72 g nugget of pure gold after 1% of its electrons have been removed. The conversation includes calculations to determine the number of atoms and electrons in the nugget, and ultimately concludes that the net positive charge can be found by multiplying the number of removed electrons by the charge on an electron.
Purduenub03
I'm sure I am missing something simple here but...

Suppose a 1.72 g nugget of pure gold has zero net charge. What would be its net charge after it has 1% of its electrons removed?

So i know that an electron is 9.109 x 10^-31 kg, and has a charge of -1.602 x 10^-19C. However, how do i know the split of electrons and protons in the gold bar?

I'd assume I am trying to get to mass of electrons / mass of electron, that times the charge of an electron divided by 100?

Physics news on Phys.org
How many electrons in a Gold atom ? How many atoms in 1.72 g ?

79 electrons in a gold atom

1.72/196.96654 = .008732 atoms

so .008732 * .79 * 1.602 x 10 ^-19 ?

Okay,you're on the wrong track...

197g gold----------------------------->6.023 10^{23} atoms

1.72g gold----------------------------> x atoms

1 atom gold---------------------------> 79 electrons
x atoms gold---------------------------> y electrons

What do you get for "y"??

Daniel.

(1.71 / 197) * 6.023 X 10 ^23 * 79 = 4.154 x 10 ^ 23

AH!

and that divided by 100 x the charge is the answer

thank you

Ryan

Last edited:
Not so fast !

You've only found the number of electrons removed. Multiply this number by the charge on an electron to get the net positive charge.

Related to Calculating Charge on a 1.72 g Gold Nugget

1. How do I calculate the charge on a 1.72 g gold nugget?

The charge on a gold nugget can be calculated by using the formula Q = m * V, where Q is the charge, m is the mass of the nugget, and V is the specific volume of gold. In this case, the specific volume of gold is 0.0000166 cm3/g. So, the charge on a 1.72 g gold nugget would be 0.0000285 C.

2. What is the specific volume of gold?

The specific volume of gold is 0.0000166 cm3/g. This means that for every gram of gold, its volume is 0.0000166 cm3.

3. Can I calculate the charge on a gold nugget using its density?

Yes, the charge on a gold nugget can also be calculated using its density. The formula for this is Q = m * ρ, where Q is the charge, m is the mass of the nugget, and ρ is the density of gold. The density of gold is 19.3 g/cm3, so the charge on a 1.72 g gold nugget using this method would be 33.196 C.

4. Is the charge on a gold nugget affected by its shape?

No, the charge on a gold nugget is not affected by its shape. It is solely determined by its mass and the specific volume or density of gold.

5. Why is it important to calculate the charge on a gold nugget?

Calculating the charge on a gold nugget can help in understanding its physical and chemical properties. It can also be useful in various scientific experiments and studies involving gold. Additionally, knowing the charge can also provide insight into the electrical properties of gold, which can have practical applications in electronics and other industries.