Calculating Changing Velocity of a Rocket on Excel

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to calculate the changing velocity of a rocket on Excel using the rocket equation. The equation presented for thrust is found to be incorrect and it is suggested to refer to textbooks or online resources for a proper derivation of the rocket equation.
Procrastinate
I am attempting to work out the changing velocity of a rocket on Excel. However, I cannot use the simple:

[tex]\int{a} dt = v[/tex].

[tex]at + C = v[/tex].

If thrust is constant at 20 000 and the rocket is 2000kg with 600kg not made of fuel and 20kg lost every second, then would the equation be:

[tex]\int{\frac{20000}{1400-20t}} dt = v[/tex].

This is forgetting about acceleration due to gravity for the moment.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your integral is not quite right (you should have delta-v on the right side, not v-dot) and your second equation (delta-v = at) is only correct when acceleration is constant.

For a proper way to model this you want to look at the rocket equation which is derived from the principle of conserved total momentum of the rocket and its ejected mass. You probably want to search for a derivation of this equation in your textbooks or on the net, but otherwise feel free to ask more questions.

Related to Calculating Changing Velocity of a Rocket on Excel

1. How do I calculate the changing velocity of a rocket on Excel?

To calculate the changing velocity of a rocket on Excel, you will need to use the basic formula for velocity: velocity = change in distance / change in time. In Excel, you can use the "AVERAGE" function to find the change in distance and the "AVERAGE" function again to find the change in time. Then, divide the change in distance by the change in time to get the velocity. Repeat this process for each time interval to track the changing velocity over time.

2. What data do I need to input in Excel for calculating changing velocity of a rocket?

In order to calculate the changing velocity of a rocket on Excel, you will need to input the distance and time data for the rocket's motion. This can be done by creating two columns in your Excel spreadsheet, one for distance and one for time. Make sure to label each column and input the data accurately.

3. How can I graph the changing velocity of a rocket on Excel?

To graph the changing velocity of a rocket on Excel, you can use the "Insert" tab and select "Scatter" under the "Charts" section. Choose the option for a scatter plot with smooth lines. Then, select the data points for the velocity and time columns and insert them into the graph. You can also customize the graph by adding axis labels, titles, and adjusting the scale as needed.

4. Can I use Excel to predict the future velocity of a rocket?

Yes, you can use Excel to predict the future velocity of a rocket by using the "FORECAST" function. This function uses the existing data points to predict the velocity at a specific time in the future. Simply input the known data points and the desired time in the function, and Excel will calculate the predicted velocity.

5. Are there any limitations to using Excel for calculating changing velocity of a rocket?

While Excel can be a useful tool for calculating changing velocity of a rocket, it does have some limitations. Excel is not able to take into account external factors such as air resistance or gravitational pull, so the calculated velocity may not be entirely accurate. Additionally, the accuracy of the data inputted into Excel can also affect the accuracy of the calculated velocity. It is important to keep these limitations in mind when using Excel for scientific calculations.