Calculating Change in Distance of Two Cars Traveling in Opposite Directions

In summary, The problem involves two cars, A and B, traveling at different velocities and intersecting at a point O. The distance between them can be represented by the equation z = (-60t + x) i + (-70t + y) j, where x and y are the distances traveled by each car and t is time. Using the given values of x = 0.8 km and y = 0.6 km, we can find the rate of change of z by differentiating the equation implicitly with respect to t and plugging in the values. This problem can also be solved using anti-derivatives, but this method has not been taught in the calc class yet.
musicmar

Homework Statement

Car A is traveling west at 60 km/hr.
Car B is traveling north at 70 km/hr.
The cars intersect at point O.
When Car A is x km east of and Car B is y km south of O, the distance between the cars is z km.
Find the rate of change of z when x = .8 km and y = .6 km.

The Attempt at a Solution

In my physics class, we would do this problem with anti-derivatives with initial conditions.
However, in my calc class, we haven't learned this yet.

VA = (-60 km/hr) i

VB = (-70 km/hr) j

So,

rA = (-60t + x) i

rB = (-70t + y) j

z = rB + rB = (-60t + x) i + (-70t + y) j

From here, do I take the derivative of z to get dz/dt?

Also, if someone could tell me how to start this problem without using anti-derivatives, that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given dx/dt, dy/dt and know z2 = x2 + y2, where all the variables are functions of t.

Differentiate this equation implicitly with respect to t and plug your numbers in.

Related to Calculating Change in Distance of Two Cars Traveling in Opposite Directions

1. How do you calculate the change in distance of two cars traveling in opposite directions?

To calculate the change in distance of two cars traveling in opposite directions, you need to first determine the initial distance between the two cars. Then, you need to calculate the total distance traveled by each car in a given time period. Finally, subtract the total distance traveled by one car from the total distance traveled by the other car to get the change in distance between them.

2. What is the formula for calculating the change in distance of two cars traveling in opposite directions?

The formula for calculating the change in distance of two cars traveling in opposite directions is: Change in distance = Total distance traveled by one car - Total distance traveled by the other car.

3. How do you determine the initial distance between the two cars?

The initial distance between the two cars can be determined by measuring the distance between them at the start of the given time period. This can be done by using a measuring tape or by estimating the distance based on known landmarks or objects.

4. Can the change in distance of two cars traveling in opposite directions be negative?

Yes, the change in distance of two cars traveling in opposite directions can be negative. This means that the two cars are getting closer to each other instead of moving away.

5. What units should be used for the change in distance calculation?

The units used for the change in distance calculation should be the same as the units used for measuring the initial distance and total distance traveled by the two cars. For example, if the initial distance is measured in meters and the total distance traveled is measured in kilometers, the change in distance should also be calculated in kilometers.