Calculating Centroids of a Triangle: Why Do Formulas Switch?

In summary: The x-coordinate is 2/3 * base.In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for calculating the centroids of a triangle, specifically the y-coordinate and the x-coordinate. It is revealed that in this case, the triangle is upside down, causing the formula for the y-coordinate to be 2/3 * height instead of height/3. The conversation also touches on the confusion of switching formulas for 'y' and 'x' values and clarifies that any side of the triangle can be considered the base when calculating the area.
CivilSigma

Homework Statement

Hello. In class we learned how to calculate centroids of a triangle. For the y-coordinate we use the formula height/3 and for the x we use 2/3 * base

Homework Equations

In the diagram, If I want to calculate the y coordinate , I do 72 (which is the proposed height)/ 3 ; only to get y=24 which is incorrect.

It turns out that to find the y-coordinate in this case we must do 2/3*height. Why is that so? This is really confusing.
Why did the formulas to calculating 'y' and 'x' values switch?

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• cent.jpg
    cent.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,254
Physics news on Phys.org
sakonpure6 said:

Homework Statement

Hello. In class we learned how to calculate centroids of a triangle. For the y-coordinate we use the formula height/3 and for the x we use 2/3 * base

Homework Equations

In the diagram, If I want to calculate the y coordinate , I do 72 (which is the proposed height)/ 3 ; only to get y=24 which is incorrect.

It turns out that to find the y-coordinate in this case we must do 2/3*height. Why is that so?
Because the triangle is upside down. The "base" is at the top and you have to measure 1/3 of the way down.
sakonpure6 said:
This is really confusing.
Why did the formulas to calculating 'y' and 'x' values switch?

Thank you for your time.

But the height is still 72? and one more thing, when we say the height do we automatically pick the longest side of the triangle?

Edit: Okay I see what you mean now. If I do h/3 , I get 24 but that is from the top not the bottom of the plane.

However, how would you calculate the x-coordinate?

Last edited:
sakonpure6 said:
But the height is still 72? and one more thing, when we say the height do we automatically pick the longest side of the triangle?
Usually, what we call the base is at the bottom and horizontal, and the altitude or height is the vertical distance from the base to the opposite vertex. This triangle is oriented so that the base is at the top. When you calculate the area using A = (1/2) b * h, any side can be considered the base.
sakonpure6 said:
Edit: Okay I see what you mean now. If I do h/3 , I get 24 but that is from the top not the bottom of the plane.

However, how would you calculate the x-coordinate?
You have the formula in your first post.

Likes CivilSigma

Hello,

Calculating the centroid of a triangle involves finding the point of intersection of the three medians of the triangle. The median is the line segment that connects a vertex of the triangle to the midpoint of the opposite side.

In order to find the y-coordinate of the centroid, we need to find the average of the y-coordinates of the three vertices. This can be done by dividing the sum of the y-coordinates by 3. However, in the formula you mentioned, the height is being used instead of the y-coordinate of the vertex. This is because in a right triangle, the height is equal to the y-coordinate of the vertex.

As for the x-coordinate, we need to find the average of the x-coordinates of the three vertices. This can be done by dividing the sum of the x-coordinates by 3. However, in the formula you mentioned, the base is being used instead of the x-coordinate of the midpoint of the base. This is because the base of a right triangle is equal to twice the x-coordinate of the midpoint of the base.

So, the formulas for calculating the y-coordinate and x-coordinate of the centroid of a triangle are based on the properties of right triangles. I hope this clears up the confusion.

Thank you.

Related to Calculating Centroids of a Triangle: Why Do Formulas Switch?

1. Why do we need to calculate the centroid of a triangle?

The centroid of a triangle is an important geometric concept that helps us understand the properties of triangles and their applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is also used in computer graphics to determine the center of mass of a shape.

2. What is the formula for calculating the centroid of a triangle?

The formula for calculating the centroid of a triangle is (x1 + x2 + x3)/3, (y1 + y2 + y3)/3, where x and y represent the coordinates of the triangle's vertices. This formula works for all types of triangles, including equilateral, isosceles, and scalene triangles.

3. Why do the formulas for x and y coordinates switch when calculating the centroid?

The formulas for the x and y coordinates of the centroid switch because the centroid is the point of intersection of the three medians of a triangle. The medians are the line segments that connect each vertex to the midpoint of the opposite side. Therefore, the x and y coordinates of the centroid are the averages of the coordinates of the triangle's vertices.

4. Can the centroid be located outside of the triangle?

Yes, the centroid can be located outside of the triangle. In some cases, the centroid may lie on one of the sides of the triangle or even outside of the triangle. This can happen when the triangle is obtuse or when the vertices are not arranged in a particular order.

5. How can calculating the centroid of a triangle be useful?

Calculating the centroid of a triangle has various practical applications. It helps us find the center of mass of a shape, which is essential in engineering and physics. It is also used in determining the balance point of an object and in calculating the center of gravity of an irregularly shaped object. Additionally, the centroid is used in computer graphics to create 3D shapes and animations.