Calculating Central Angles in Satellite Orbits

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of central angles in solving a problem involving a satellite's orbit above the Earth. The central angle is important in determining the time it takes for the satellite to travel a specific arc of its orbit. The conversation also mentions the use of the law of sines and cosines to solve for the central angle.
amanda_
Not quite sure how central angles ended up in a PreCalc class, but oh well.

Okay so, I'm given this picture

1,1.JPG

And this information:

A satellite is in orbit 2000 kilometers above the Earth.
It is scheduled to pass directly over a tracking station at noon.
The satellite takes 2 hours to make one orbit.
The tracking antenna is aimed 30º above the horizon.

The problem is:

The central angle defines the arc of the satellite's movement from the 30º point to a point overhead. If you find the central angle, you can compute the time it takes the satellite to travel the arc of the orbit. The measure of the central angle is ____ .After having someone already try to explain this to me, I used the law of sines and cosines and ended up with this equation. Everything is starting to look all the same and I'm just getting so frustrated. Any help would be appreciated.

cramster-equation-2010810018266341699630650062504029.gif

I plugged in 120 for sin a and cos a, and the whole thing comes out to be zero. Which isn't one of the possible answers.

Attachments

• 1,1.JPG
    1,1.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 340
  • cramster-equation-2010810018266341699630650062504029.gif
    cramster-equation-2010810018266341699630650062504029.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably you are given the radius of the earth, right? Call it R. Why not just use the law of sines:

[tex]\frac{\sin(a)}{R}=\frac{\sin(120)}{R+2000}[/tex]

If you know R, use this to solve for angle a and you can figure out the third (central) angle.

Actually finding the radius is a completely different question, but if I did that correctly then it's 6,378. But when I plug that into the equation you gave, it didn't match any of the answers.

Edit: Wait a second. I got around 41 degrees for angle a, and it's known that angle b is 120. Did I do this right?

120+41= 161

180-161= 19 degrees

Last edited:
Yup.

Related to Calculating Central Angles in Satellite Orbits

1. What is a central angle?

A central angle is an angle whose vertex is located at the center of a circle, with its sides extending to the circumference of the circle. It is measured in degrees and is equal to the arc it intercepts at the circumference.

2. How do you find the measure of a central angle?

To find the measure of a central angle, you can use the formula A = θr, where A is the arc length, θ is the central angle in radians, and r is the radius of the circle.

3. What is the relationship between a central angle and an inscribed angle?

Both a central angle and an inscribed angle are formed by two intersecting lines in a circle, but a central angle has its vertex at the center of the circle while an inscribed angle has its vertex on the circumference. The measure of a central angle is twice the measure of its corresponding inscribed angle.

4. How do you calculate the area of a sector?

The area of a sector is calculated by first finding the measure of the central angle, then using the formula A = ½r²θ, where A is the area, r is the radius, and θ is the central angle in radians.

5. What real-life applications use central angles?

Central angles are used in various fields such as navigation, engineering, and architecture. They are also commonly used in surveying and map-making to determine the direction and distance between points on a map.