Calculating Altitude of a Geosynchronous Satellite Orbiting Jupiter

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Satellite
In summary, the satellite is suspended above the surface of Jupiter by rotating through the same angles and taking the amount of time to rotate through those angles. The altitude corresponding to this is 1.59 \cdot 10^8 m.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

A synchronous satellite, which always remains above the same point on a planet's equator, is put in orbit around Jupiter to study that planet's famous red spot. Jupiter rotates once every 9.84 h. Use the following data to find the altitude of the satellite above the surface of the planet. Jupiter has a mass of [itex]1.90 \cdot 10^{27}~kg[/itex], and a mean radius of [itex]6.99 \cdot 10^{7}~m[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]v= \large \sqrt{ \frac{GM_j}{R_j + h}}[/itex] [itex]M_j[/itex] mass of Jupiter; [itex]R_j[/itex] average radius of Jupiter.

[itex]v= \large \sqrt{ \frac{GM_j}{r}}[/itex]

[itex]v_{tan}=r\omega[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that in order for the satellite to continually be suspended above the same spot on Jupiter, they have to be rotating through the same angles and take the amount of time to rotate through those angles. Hence, [itex]\omega_j=\omega_s= \frac{2\pi}{35424~s}[/itex] (I converted the hours to seconds).

I thought of using the first forumula; but when I substituted
[itex]v_{tan}=r\omega[/itex] and tried to solve for r, it became rather difficult. And so, I opted to use the second equation and perform the same steps. I solved for [itex]r[/itex], [itex]r= (\large \frac{GM_j}{\omega^2})^{1/3}[/itex]

After the final substitution, [itex]r= 1.59 \cdot 10^8 m [/itex]. This, however, isn't the correct answer. What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
And so, I opted to use the second equation and perform the same steps. I solved for [itex]r[/itex], [itex]r= (\large \frac{GM_j}{\omega^2})^{1/3}[/itex]

After the final substitution, [itex]r= 1.59 \cdot 10^8 m [/itex]. This, however, isn't the correct answer. What did I do wrong?
You solved for r. What altitude does that correspond to?

Oh, I need to subtract the average radius from the value of r I found. Also, I just noticed that the mass of Jupiter was given in kg, should I have converted it into grams?

Bashyboy said:
Oh, I need to subtract the average radius from the value of r I found.
Right.
Also, I just noticed that the mass of Jupiter was given in kg, should I have converted it into grams?
No. Kg is the standard unit for mass.

You are asked about the altitude above the surface of Jupiter.

I got the proper answer. Thanks be to you both.

Related to Calculating Altitude of a Geosynchronous Satellite Orbiting Jupiter

1. What is a geosynchronous satellite?

A geosynchronous satellite is an artificial satellite placed in orbit around the Earth, which completes one full rotation around the Earth in the same amount of time it takes for the Earth to rotate on its axis. This results in the satellite appearing to remain stationary in the same position in the sky, making it ideal for communication and navigation purposes.

2. How is a geosynchronous satellite different from other satellites?

Unlike other satellites, which typically orbit the Earth at lower altitudes and have varying orbital periods, a geosynchronous satellite has a very specific orbit and altitude to maintain its position above a fixed point on the Earth's equator. It also requires precise timing and control to stay in its correct orbit.

3. What is the purpose of a geosynchronous satellite?

The main purpose of a geosynchronous satellite is for communication and navigation. These satellites are used for television and telephone transmissions, internet services, and global positioning systems (GPS). They also play a role in weather forecasting, environmental monitoring, and military operations.

4. How are geosynchronous satellites launched into orbit?

Geosynchronous satellites are launched into orbit using rockets, such as the Atlas V or Falcon 9. The satellite is typically placed into a geostationary transfer orbit, which is a temporary elliptical orbit, before being maneuvered into its final geosynchronous orbit using onboard propulsion systems.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of geosynchronous satellites?

The advantages of geosynchronous satellites include their ability to remain in a fixed position above one location, providing continuous coverage for communication and navigation purposes. However, their high altitude and specific orbit also make them more expensive to launch and maintain. Additionally, geosynchronous satellites are susceptible to interference from weather and other satellites, and their fixed position can limit their coverage to certain areas of the Earth.