Calculating Cell Potential at 25oC with Cu2+ and NaOH

In summary, the potential of a cell with a copper electrode in a solution with [Cu2+] = 5.1×10-10 M at 25 oC is found to be 0.065 V. When the same copper electrode is placed in a solution of 0.270 M NaOH that is saturated with Cu(OH)2, the potential of the cell (measured in the same direction as in question 5) at 25 oC is calculated using the Nernst equation. The dissociation equation for Cu(OH)2 is given as Cu(OH)2 ---> Cu2+ + 2OH- with a Ksp of 1.6×10-19. However, the
kooombaya
What is the potential of this cell ( in V) at 25 oC if the copper electrode is placed in a solution in which [Cu2+] = 5.1×10-10 M?

I found this answer to be 0.065 which is correct. The second part:

If the copper electrode of the above cell is placed in a solution of 0.270 M NaOH that is saturated with Cu(OH)2, what is the potential of the cell (in V, measured in the same direction as in question 5) at 25 oC? Ksp = 1.6×10-19.

I'm using the Nernst equatuion.
Here's how I think it goes:
The NaOH is soluble so it dissolves but the Cu(OH)2 isn't. It's Ksp is very small but it will dissociate a little. So the dissociation equation I got is:

Cu(OH)2 ---> Cu2+ + 2OH-
Ksp = [Cu2+][OH-]^2
= [x][2x]^2
x = 3.42e-7

To find Ecell I said Cu gets oxidized and OH reduced and my Ecell = -0.74
Plugging into the Nernst equations:

E=-0.74-(0.0592/4)*log[Cu2+][OH-]^2
E=-0.64

This is wrong. Can someone explain to me please. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone please help me, or just give me a hint...

In the first part you have calculaed potential of the copper half cell, why do you try to incorporate OH- concentration into Nernst equation now? Were you told anything about change of the other half cell?

--

Ok, I have it set up as

Cu(OH)2 ---> Cu2+ + 2OH-

Ksp = 1.6e-19 = [x][2x+0.1]^2

Now this might sound stupid but how do I solve this equation. I'm stuck since we get an x^3 and x^2 term...

Sorry, I posted something else at first, but then realized you did something strange. Why 2x+0.1?

--
methods

2x+0.1 because of the .1 from the NaOH

Strange.

kooombaya said:
solution of 0.270 M NaOH

Is concentration of dissolved copper hydroxide comparable with concentration of NaOH?

--
methods

I mean 2x+0.27 this is from the answer key that the professor gave me. I don't know how to solve the equation though.

OK, 2x+0.27.

Can you answer the question I have asked?

--
methods

From what I understood the 0.27 is from the NaOH that dissociates.

That's not answer to the question I asked, to speed things up asnwer two questions now:

Is concentration of dissolved copper hydroxide comparable with concentration of NaOH?

Why 2x+0.27 for the OH- concentration?

And we won't move froward till you answer them both, so dodging won't help.

--

I'm not trying to evade any question. Nevermind my chem exam is over, I don't feel like caring about it anymore... thanks for your help.

Related to Calculating Cell Potential at 25oC with Cu2+ and NaOH

1. How do I calculate the cell potential at 25oC with Cu2+ and NaOH?

To calculate the cell potential at 25oC with Cu2+ and NaOH, you will need to use the Nernst equation, which is Ecell = E°cell - (RT/nF)lnQ. E°cell is the standard cell potential, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, n is the number of moles of electrons transferred, F is Faraday's constant, and Q is the reaction quotient. You will also need to know the concentrations of Cu2+ and NaOH in the cell.

2. What is the standard cell potential for the reaction between Cu2+ and NaOH?

The standard cell potential for the reaction between Cu2+ and NaOH is 0.34V. This value can be found in a standard reduction potential table.

3. How does temperature affect the cell potential between Cu2+ and NaOH?

Temperature can affect the cell potential between Cu2+ and NaOH by changing the value of the Nernst equation. As temperature increases, the value of lnQ decreases, resulting in a larger Ecell value. However, this relationship is not linear and can vary depending on the specific reaction and conditions.

4. Can I use any other metal instead of Cu2+ in this reaction?

Yes, you can use any other metal with a known standard reduction potential in this reaction. However, the resulting cell potential will be different depending on the specific metal used.

5. How can I use the cell potential value to determine the spontaneity of the reaction?

The sign of the cell potential can indicate the spontaneity of the reaction. If the Ecell value is positive, the reaction is spontaneous, while a negative Ecell value indicates a non-spontaneous reaction. The larger the positive value, the more spontaneous the reaction is.