Calculating Cannon Range on a Slope

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of range for a cannon fired from a slope at a fixed angle of 30° and an initial velocity of 30 m/s. The suggestion is to use an angle of 42° and apply projectile equations, then use trigonometry to determine the distance from the origin to the point of intersection with the line y = (tan12)x. The importance of the word "difference" is also noted.
syang9
Hello all,

I've searched and browsed and I haven't found anyone else that's asked this question, so I will ask it here.

A cannon point at a fixed angle of 30° is placed on a slope of 12° and fired uphill at an initial velocity of 30 m/s. What is its range?

I thought about making the x direction going up the hill, and I also tried it with a normal coordinate system. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Stephen

Physics news on Phys.org
launching a projectile on a slope of 12 degrees at an angle of 30 degrees, is the same as launching it at 42 degrees. Therefore, you can use the projectile equations as usual, just using an angle of 42 degrees instead, then simply work out the point of intersection between the cartesian equation generated, and the line y = (tan12)x. Then use a little trig to work out the distance from the origin and the point of intersection.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://photo-origin.tickle.com/image/69/3/7/O/69370364O624412945.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i see.. thank you so much!

syang9 said:
Hello all,

I've searched and browsed and I haven't found anyone else that's asked this question, so I will ask it here.

A cannon point at a fixed angle of 30° is placed on a slope of 12° and fired uphill at an initial velocity of 30 m/s. What is its range?

I thought about making the x direction going up the hill, and I also tried it with a normal coordinate system. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Stephen
I would make one comment. finchie_88 overlooked one key word (which I highlighted in your original post). Your angle is the difference between 30 and 12, not the sum of 30 and 12.

Related to Calculating Cannon Range on a Slope

1. How does the slope affect the trajectory of a cannonball?

The slope of the cannon's firing position can greatly impact the trajectory of the cannonball. The steeper the slope, the higher the cannonball will travel and the shorter the distance it will cover. A flatter slope will result in a lower trajectory and a longer distance.

2. What factors influence the accuracy of a cannon fired on a slope?

The accuracy of a cannon fired on a slope is influenced by several factors, including the angle of the slope, the weight and size of the cannonball, the type and quality of gunpowder used, and any external forces such as wind or gravity.

3. Can a cannon be fired on any type of slope?

In theory, a cannon can be fired on any type of slope. However, the steeper the slope, the more difficult it will be to maintain accuracy and control over the trajectory of the cannonball. A flatter slope is generally preferred for more precise and controlled firing.

4. How does the distance of a slope affect the range of a cannonball?

The distance of a slope, or the length of the slope from the firing position to the target, can greatly affect the range of a cannonball. A longer slope will provide more time for the cannonball to gain speed and distance, resulting in a longer range. A shorter slope will result in a shorter range.

5. What precautions should be taken when firing a cannon on a slope?

When firing a cannon on a slope, it is important to take precautions to ensure the safety of those operating the cannon and those in the surrounding area. This may include securing the cannon in place to prevent it from rolling or tipping, using proper safety equipment, and carefully calculating the angle and force of the cannon's trajectory to avoid any accidents or injuries.