Calculating Buoyancy: Determining Ice Area to Support 3000lb Car

In summary, to compute the smallest area of ice that can support a 3000lb car, one must first determine the amount of water that needs to be displaced by the ice. This can be done by converting the weight of the car to kg, finding the corresponding volume, and then calculating the area of ice needed to have that volume. The ice will need to be completely submerged in water in order to support the car's weight.
daisyi
I'm sure that if I can figure one of these out, then I will be able to understand how to compute all this buoyancy stuff.

Anyways, here is is:

What is the smallest area of a chunk of ice that is 1ft thick that will just support a 3000lb car.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume the car is floating on the ice in water? If so, then realize that the smallest piece would be totally submerged: the top of the ice sheet would be even with the water. Thus all of the ice is displacing water. So how much water must this ice displace to support the total weight of the car plus the ice? First find the answer in kg, then find the volume. Then you can find the area of ice that will have that volume. Got it?

I figured this one out using the help that you gave me from the last problem. Thanks a ton again :)

Related to Calculating Buoyancy: Determining Ice Area to Support 3000lb Car

1. How do you calculate buoyancy?

To calculate buoyancy, you need to determine the weight of the displaced fluid. This can be done by multiplying the volume of the fluid by its density. This value represents the upward force, or buoyant force, exerted on an object placed in the fluid.

2. What is the formula for calculating buoyancy?

The formula for calculating buoyancy is Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How do you determine the area of ice needed to support a 3000lb car?

To determine the area of ice needed to support a 3000lb car, you need to divide the weight of the car by the density of ice. This will give you the volume of ice required. Then, you can divide this volume by the thickness of the ice to calculate the surface area needed.

4. What factors can affect the buoyancy of an object?

The buoyancy of an object can be affected by the density and volume of the fluid, the density and volume of the object, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as shape, surface area, and any added weight can also impact buoyancy.

5. Why is it important to calculate buoyancy?

Calculating buoyancy is important in many fields, including engineering, marine biology, and meteorology. It helps us understand how objects float or sink in different fluids and can be used to design and build structures that can withstand buoyant forces. It also plays a role in determining the stability and safety of boats and other watercraft.