Calculating Average Speed: Solving the v=8sin2t+3cos2t Equation

In summary: The solutions should include 480°, 510°, 660°, and 690° for 0°≤x≤720°. The general solution is 2x = 120°, 150°, 300°, and 330°, which can be simplified to x = 60°, 75°, 150°, and 165° for the given interval.
Nicola Sterritt
Hello,
I was wondering if someone out there could help me. The question:

The speed, v metres per second, of a particle is given as v=8sin2t+3cos2t
where t is in seconds.
i) Find the total distance traveled in the time interval 0≤t≤1
ii) Find the average speed over this time interval.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Nicola, :welcome:

This looks an awul lot like homework, and for that PF has a dedicated forum. With some rules: you need to show an attempt at solution and to use the template:

Homework Statement

where t is in seconds.
ii) Find the average speed over this time interval.​

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Your turn! Help is on the way :smile:

BvU said:
Hello Nicola, :welcome:

This looks an awul lot like homework, and for that PF has a dedicated forum. With some rules: you need to show an attempt at solution and to use the template:

Homework Statement

where t is in seconds.
ii) Find the average speed over this time interval.​

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Your turn! Help is on the way :smile:

Here are the solutions:

Hi,

Believe it or not I am a teacher ! How embarrassing haha!
We are having a debate about the solution to this question!
IMG-20160124-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20160124-WA0002.jpg

I do not understand why the solution divides by 2 if you use the average value formula in integration to find average speed. If you substitute in values between 0 and 1 then the speed never goes above 3 point something so average speed can not be 7.03 but why divide by 2?

Speed never goes below 3. Note that $$ 8\sin(2t)+3\cos(2t) = \sqrt{73} \; \sin (2t+\phi) \quad {\rm \ with \ \ } \cos\phi = {8\over \sqrt{73}} $$

The division by 2 is a mistake by the author of the book.

upload_2016-1-26_12-49-5.png

Last edited:
Likes Nicola Sterritt
Hi,

Thank you. You may be able to help with one other question.

Find the general solution solution of the equation sin2x=-√3/2 and use it to find all the solutions for 0°≤x≤360°.

The solutions say that the answers are 120°,150°,300°,330°. I think that the solution set should be 0°≤2x≤360° for these to be the answers and that the answers should only be 120° and 150°.

Thank you for your help.
Nicola

Nicola Sterritt said:
Hi,

Thank you. You may be able to help with one other question.

Find the general solution solution of the equation sin2x=-√3/2 and use it to find all the solutions for 0°≤x≤360°.

The solutions say that the answers are 120°,150°,300°,330°. I think that the solution set should be 0°≤2x≤360° for these to be the answers and that the answers should only be 120° and 150°.

Thank you for your help.
Nicola
The solutions 120°,150°,300°,330° seem correct. These angles all lie between 0° and 360° and the sine of twice each of these angles is -√3/2.

Sorry, I got confused with another question I was doing. The question was
Find the general solution solution of the equation sin2x=-√3/2 and use it to find all the solutions for 0°≤x≤720°. ...NOT 360 as I had above.

The solutions say that 120°,150°,300° and 330° but I think that the solutions should include 480°, 510°, 660° and 690° also unless the solution set is changed to 0°≤2x≤720° or 0°≤x≤360°

Nicola Sterritt said:
Sorry, I got confused with another question I was doing. The question was
Find the general solution solution of the equation sin2x=-√3/2 and use it to find all the solutions for 0°≤x≤720°. ...NOT 360 as I had above.

The solutions say that 120°,150°,300° and 330° but I think that the solutions should include 480°, 510°, 660° and 690° also unless the solution set is changed to 0°≤2x≤720° or 0°≤x≤360°
I agree with you.

Likes Nicola Sterritt

Related to Calculating Average Speed: Solving the v=8sin2t+3cos2t Equation

1. What is average speed?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken to travel that distance.

2. How is average speed different from instantaneous speed?

Average speed is the overall rate at which an object is moving over a certain distance, while instantaneous speed is the speed at a specific moment in time.

3. How do you calculate average speed?

Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken to travel that distance.

4. Can average speed be negative?

Yes, average speed can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. For example, if a car travels 10 miles north and then 5 miles south in 1 hour, its average speed would be -5 miles per hour.

5. What is the unit of measurement for average speed?

The unit of measurement for average speed is distance per time, such as miles per hour or kilometers per hour.