Calculating Average Lifetime of Particles at Rest

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the average lifetime of unknown elementary particles when they are at rest. The formula used for this calculation is tm = ts/[sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)], where tm is the time it takes when the object is moving, ts is the stationary time, v is the speed of the object, and c is the speed of light. The speaker attempted to calculate the average lifetime by plugging in the given numbers, but was unable to get the correct answer. Upon further examination, it is discovered that the numbers used for ts and v were incorrect, potentially causing the incorrect result.
msimard8
Heres the question before I say anything else

A beam of unknown elementary particles travels at a speed of 2.0 x 10^6 m/s. Their average lifetime in th ebeam is measrured to be 1.6 x 10^-8 s. Caclulate their average lifetime when at rest.

hmm I have no examples to go by. I figure I will have to use the formula

tm = ts/[sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)]

where tm is the time it takes when the object is moving (for example when viewing from Earth and ts is the stationary time, v is speed of the object and c is speed of light)

I tried to do this by plugging in the numbers as

ts=?
v=2.0x10^8 m/s
tm=1.6x10^-8

I didn't get the right answer of 1.2 x 10^-8 s so I am assuming I am wrong.
How do I do this correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you are using the right formula and I get the right answer when I plug the numbers in. If you tell us what answer you get perhaps we can tell you what you're doing wrong.

EDIT: just noticed you cited
I tried to do this by plugging in the numbers as

ts=?
v=2.0x10^8 m/s

as what you've input.

That could be the problem.

I would first clarify the units being used in the question. The speed given is 2.0 x 10^6 m/s, while the average lifetime is measured in seconds. This discrepancy may affect the calculation.

To calculate the average lifetime at rest, we can use the formula for time dilation:

t_0 = t_m/sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2))

Where t_0 is the time at rest, t_m is the time when the particles are moving, v is the speed of the particles, and c is the speed of light.

Plugging in the values given in the question, we get:

t_0 = (1.6 x 10^-8 s)/sqrt(1-(2.0 x 10^6 m/s)^2/(3.0 x 10^8 m/s)^2)

Simplifying this, we get t_0 = 1.6 x 10^-8 s/sqrt(1-0.000004) = 1.2 x 10^-8 s.

Therefore, the average lifetime of the particles at rest is 1.2 x 10^-8 seconds. It is important to note that this is an average value and individual particles may have slightly different lifetimes. Also, it is worth mentioning that this calculation assumes that the particles are moving at a constant speed and do not experience any acceleration or deceleration.

Related to Calculating Average Lifetime of Particles at Rest

1. What is the purpose of calculating the average lifetime of particles at rest?

The average lifetime of particles at rest is an important factor in understanding the fundamental properties of particles and their behavior. It helps scientists to identify and classify different types of particles and study their interactions with other particles and forces.

2. How is the average lifetime of particles at rest calculated?

The average lifetime of particles at rest is calculated by dividing the total measured lifetime of a large number of particles by the number of particles observed. This gives an estimate of the average lifetime of a single particle at rest.

3. What units are used to measure the average lifetime of particles at rest?

The average lifetime of particles at rest is typically measured in seconds. However, for particles with extremely short lifetimes, such as those found in high-energy physics experiments, nanoseconds or even picoseconds may be used.

4. How does the average lifetime of particles at rest differ from the average lifetime of moving particles?

The average lifetime of particles at rest is a measure of the decay rate of a particle when it is not in motion. The average lifetime of moving particles, on the other hand, takes into account the effects of relativistic time dilation and may be longer or shorter depending on the speed of the particle.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the average lifetime of particles at rest?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the average lifetime of particles at rest, including experimental errors, statistical fluctuations, and the decay modes of the particles being studied. It is important for scientists to carefully control these factors in order to obtain reliable results.