Calculating Artificial Gravity Rotation Frequency in RPM

In summary, the rotational frequency of the space station wheel needed to produce an artificial gravity of 9m/s^2 for people on the outer rim is 3.487429162 rpm. This can be found by equating the normal force with the centripetal force and using the relation v=rw to solve for w.
Momentum09
"Artificial Gravity"

Homework Statement

A space station in the form of a large wheel, 333m in diameter, rotates to provide an "artificial gravity" of 9m/s^2 for people located on the outer rim. Find the rotational frequency of the wheel that will produce this effect. Answer in units of rpm [revolutions per minute]

Homework Equations

w = 2pi/T , Frequency = 1/T

The Attempt at a Solution

I first equated the normal force with the centripetal force, which is mg = mv^2/r. Cancelling out the m, I got gr = v^2. After I solved for V, I plugged it into the w = 2pi/T equation to find T, then 1/T. To convert the answer to rpm, I multiplied what I got for F by 60 and divided by 2pi. However I kept getting the wrong answer. Can someone please help? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
After I solved for V, I plugged it into the w = 2pi/T equation to find T
How did you relate v to w when finding T in this step?

Be sure to keep track of the units to make sure things make sense.

What answer did you get?

I got 3.487429162 rpm

I also know that w = 2 x pi x frequency

Yes, but remember that v is linear velocity, and w is angular velocity. They are not interchangeable. Do you know the relation between those two quantities?

I know that w = v/r

So what do you get if you make use of that? You found what v is, and ultimately what you want to find is w (in rev/min).

You're initial approach is OK, it's just the long way around. But you still need to use v=rw.

oh! I got it now! Thank you so much!

You're welcome. :smile:

Related to Calculating Artificial Gravity Rotation Frequency in RPM

1. How is the artificial gravity rotation frequency in RPM calculated?

The artificial gravity rotation frequency in RPM is calculated by dividing the desired level of artificial gravity (in meters per second squared) by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 meters per second squared). This will give you the number of rotations per minute needed to achieve the desired level of artificial gravity.

2. What factors affect the artificial gravity rotation frequency?

The main factors that affect the artificial gravity rotation frequency are the desired level of artificial gravity, the radius of the rotating object, and the acceleration due to gravity. Generally, the larger the radius and the greater the desired level of artificial gravity, the higher the rotation frequency will need to be.

3. How does the rotation frequency affect the strength of artificial gravity?

The rotation frequency directly affects the strength of artificial gravity. The higher the rotation frequency, the stronger the artificial gravity will be. This is because a higher rotation frequency results in a greater centripetal force, which is what creates the feeling of gravity.

4. Can the artificial gravity rotation frequency be too high or too low?

Yes, the artificial gravity rotation frequency can be too high or too low. If the rotation frequency is too high, it can cause discomfort and even motion sickness in individuals. If it is too low, the artificial gravity may not be strong enough to have any noticeable effects.

5. How can the artificial gravity rotation frequency be adjusted?

The artificial gravity rotation frequency can be adjusted by changing the speed of rotation of the rotating object. This can be done manually or by using a control system that adjusts the speed based on the desired level of artificial gravity. Additionally, the radius of the rotating object can also be adjusted to change the rotation frequency.