Calculating Area of Curve Using Greens Theorem

In summary, the problem is to find the area of a curve using the area formula of Green's Theorem. The given equations are r(t)=(t-sin t) i +(1- cos t ) j for 0 <= t <= 2 pi and y = sin x. The attempt at a solution involves using the line integral of 0.5xdy - 0.5ydx, where x = t - sin t and y = 1 - cos t. The student is unsure of how to proceed and asks for clarification. The expert suggests finding the values of x(t) and y(t) using the given equations.
bugatti79

Homework Statement

Find area of curve using area formula of Greens theorem

Homework Equations

r(t)=(t-sin t) i +(1- cos t ) j for 0 <= t <= 2 pi. The curve is y = sin x

The Attempt at a Solution

Do i let x(t)=t...?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you mean by 'The curve is y = sin x.'

I am assuming that the region is defined by 'r(t)=(t-sin t) i +(1- cos t ) j for 0 <= t <= 2 pi'. If so, the area is given by the line integral of 0.5xdy - 0.5ydx, where x = t - sin t and y = 1 - cos t.

Why not solve the problem and post your answer and any further queries you might have about the problem?

Once you have finished, I will tell you why the line integral of 0.5xdy - 0.5ydx turns out to be the formula for Green's Theorem.

bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

Find area of curve using area formula of Greens theorem

Homework Equations

r(t)=(t-sin t) i +(1- cos t ) j for 0 <= t <= 2 pi. The curve is y = sin x

The Attempt at a Solution

Do i let x(t)=t...?
No.

[itex]\vec{r}(t)=x(t)\hat{i}+y(t)\hat{j}\,,[/itex] so from what you are given, we see that x(t) =   ?   .

Related to Calculating Area of Curve Using Greens Theorem

What is Greens Theorem?

Greens Theorem is a theorem in vector calculus that relates the line integral of a two-dimensional vector field over a closed curve to the double integral over the region enclosed by the curve.

How is Greens Theorem used to calculate the area of a curve?

Greens Theorem can be used to calculate the area of a curve by converting the problem into a line integral over the boundary of the region, which can then be solved using the fundamental theorem of calculus.

What are the advantages of using Greens Theorem to calculate area?

The main advantage of using Greens Theorem is that it can simplify complex area calculations by converting them into line integrals, which can often be easier to solve. It also allows for the calculation of areas using a wider range of coordinate systems.

What are some common applications of Greens Theorem?

Greens Theorem is commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematical modeling to calculate various physical quantities such as flux, work, and potential energy.

What are the limitations of Greens Theorem?

Greens Theorem can only be applied to closed curves in two-dimensional space, and it may not be applicable for calculating areas in certain complex or irregular shapes. It also requires a good understanding of vector calculus and its principles.