Calculating Angular as a Function of Proton Movement in Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the angular function for protons moving in a magnetic field. The formula p = qrB is derived, and it is suggested to convert all units to SI for easier computation. The final formula is given as p = 0.3 GeV/c * m^-1 * T^-1 * r * B, indicating that a 1 GeV particle will make circles with a 1m radius in a 3T field.
liquidFuzz
I just derived a little formula of protons moving in a magnetic field. With the symetry etc I have I get this:

p = qrB

Now I want to calculate the angular as a function like this:

p = constant * B

Where p is Gev/C, r is in meters.

I don't know what numbers or better what form B and q should have to get all numbers right. Anyone care to shine some light on this..?

Edit, my field is 1.74T r in meters.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rule of thumb for such cases - if you are confused by units, convert everything to SI.
You need to convert GeV into Joules, and express proton charge in Coulombs and speed of light in m/s. Google for those values!

Mhmm...

Something like this?

[tex]\displaystyle p = 1.602 * 10^{-19} * 5.609*10^{35} r * 1.74 =1.56*r \frac{eV}{c^2} \frac{m}{s}[/tex]

Edit, I see that I've confused more than the units. I wanted to compute it like this p = constant * r

Last edited:
OK, I see I must do it for you...
[tex]p_{[{\rm kg\,m\,s^{-1}}]} = q_{[{\rm Q}]}r_{[{\rm m}]}B_{[{\rm T}]}
= 1.602\cdot 10^{-19}{\rm C}\,r_{[{\rm m}]}B_{[{\rm T}]}[/tex]
[tex]p_{[{\rm GeV}/c]} = \frac{p_{[{\rm kg\,m\,s^{-1}}]}\cdot 3\cdot 10^8{\rm m\,s^{-1}}}
{1.602\cdot 10^{-10}{\rm kg\,m^2\,s^{-2}\,GeV^{-1}}} =
\frac{1.602\cdot 10^{-19}{\rm C}\,r_{[{\rm m}]}B_{[{\rm T}]} \cdot 3\cdot 10^8{\rm m\,s^{-1}}}
{1.602\cdot 10^{-10}{\rm kg\,m^2\,s^{-2}\,GeV^{-1}}} =
0.3\, \frac{{\rm GeV}}{c}{\rm\,\,m^{-1}\,T^{-1}}\cdot r \cdot B
[/tex]

Or - in other words - easier to remember and imagine - 1GeV particle makes circles of 1m radius in 3T field.

Thanks for taking the time to help me!

Related to Calculating Angular as a Function of Proton Movement in Magnetic Field

1. What is the formula for calculating angular as a function of proton movement in a magnetic field?

The formula for calculating the angular motion of a proton in a magnetic field is given by ω = qB/m, where ω is the angular velocity, q is the charge of the proton, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and m is the mass of the proton.

2. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the angular motion of a proton?

The direction of the magnetic field determines the direction of the force exerted on the proton. This force is always perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the proton's motion. As a result, the direction of the magnetic field can change the direction of the proton's angular velocity.

3. What is the significance of the charge and mass of the proton in this calculation?

The charge of the proton determines the strength of the force that it experiences in a magnetic field. The mass of the proton affects the magnitude of its acceleration in the magnetic field, which in turn affects its angular velocity.

4. Can this formula be applied to other charged particles besides protons?

Yes, this formula can be applied to any charged particle, as long as the charge and mass of the particle are known. However, the direction of the magnetic field must also be taken into consideration for accurate calculations.

5. How is this calculation used in real-world applications?

This calculation is commonly used in particle accelerators and mass spectrometers, where charged particles are accelerated and their angular motion is measured in a magnetic field. It is also used in medical imaging technology such as MRI machines, where the movement of protons in a magnetic field is used to create detailed images of the body.